Default Banjoist Wade Mainer, 101 years old, Still alive and performing

i wonder why most folk and bluegrass musicians have long life... hmmm?

This guy just turned 102 this year and still kickin. And all the while i thought Pete Seeger,90, is the oldest man in music business.

Wade Mainer performs "beautiful, wonderful music" during 101st birthday party and concert - Flint, Michigan Entertainment News - The Flint Journal – MLive.com
    Last edited by countrykidanthony; 07-14-2009 at 07:11 AM.

walay mga bisyo sigoro basta in.ani nga genre noh wheheheheh
    ari sa mga metal oh bisag naa sa stage hala nagpaaso with redhorse pa..hehehe

pero hurot akong belib ani imagine 3 digits na ang edad motukar gihapon one of a kind!

hahaha depende ra jud na sa tawo.. ani nga genre daghan man pod badlongon. Hank Williams Sr died at the age of 29 at the back of his care due to alcohol in 1953 pa na sya.

Gram Parsons died of drug overdose in his 20s pa sya hehehe

karon pod mga modern country/bluegrass musicians satanista pod ang uban( .357 string band, hank williams III, unknown hinson, vampire cowboy muthaf**ker, etc).

pero bilib jud ko ani ky centenial man na ni sya hehehe..

mga tiguwang performer i know of nga active gihapon sila Pete Seeger,age 90,pero hataw pa sya with Bruce Springsten during the Obama inauguration.

Willie Nelson pod bisan cge tabako ug marijuana baskog mn gihapon hahahaha

ask lang ko nimo ba who influence you to dig into this kind of music?
    because I observe mostly of your treads mga bluegrass,country,folk etc.kay tagsa raman gudko ka.encounter ug mga musical styles like sa imoha....whehehheh curios lang..you may not answer

pag high school na nagstart hehehe.. i grew up listening to hard rock and alternative rock of 99.5RT (back when they're still rock). then one time mi-adto ko music store sa BQ Mall and saw this tape with a man in a cowboy hat sa cover. It was Alan Jackson's Under the Influence album. i bought it out of curiosity then i love what i hear. Then ala pa man internet sa amoa town pag high school nko so mao kada adto nko tagbilaran palit ko tape mga country mostly traditionalist like Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, and George Strait.

Then pag college nko 2004 naa naman internet minaw nko country radio. sa cmt.com p ko ato ky mao raman to country site ako nahibaw-an that time and ila CMT RADIO daghan kaayo subgenre. naay pop country, traditional, cowpunk, bluegrass, folk, outlaw, classic country, etc...

mao to i tried listening to those stations and and i fall inlove with bluegrass right away hehehe... especially when i saw the band NICKEL CREEK performed live sa video with their unique style of combining bluegrass, alternative rock, and radiohead.

then from then i started digging those the roots of the music until mi-abot ko sa 1920s Jimmie Rodgers and The Carter Family.

Then a band called Old Crow Medicine Show came to the scene in 2005. early 20s pa age ani mga tawhana and they have the same rawness and intensity as bluegrass pero there's something unique in them than the rest bluegrass.

Until i found out na their style of music is not bluegrass but old-timey string band. Their style of music is the precursor to bluegrass. So i started digging the original artists who did those kind of music mostly pre 1930s and thats when i discovered these string bands and skiffle bands and jug bands and fiddle tunes and banjo tunes..

Didto ko nka appreciate ani nga type of music upon learning the roots of it hehehe...

Right now Old Crow Medicine Show's new album modernize na gamay ang style. closer na sa traditional country and folk rock than old-timey stringband pero nindot man gihapon.

Naa pod ko na bantayan now most punk rock and alternative rock artists are now making rootsy country music like Social Distortion, The Pretenders, Jonathan Richman, Elvis Costello, Fat Mike of NOFX, and currently Mike Herrera of MXPX with his side project Tumbledown

Minaw pod ko Elvis sauna ky naa man plaka ako mama but i never paid much attention to him ky para nko "kinaraan" ang style. hahaha rocker bya ko elementary hehehe influence ni ka Pedro...

Pero now, i love Elvis' songs prior to 1970s especially during the SUN RECORDS era... kato raw pa nga rockabilly.

so to summarize my influences hehehehe:
    Alan Jackson- traditional country (because of him i came to know who George Jones and Hank Williams is)- and if not because of that tape, di jud ko kaila ug country music unta or makaila man gani pero i will stereotype it as "kinaraan" hahaha.. blame it on Tom Jones and Engelbert who made crappy renditions of country songs that's been reduced to videoke songs.. i hate those two artists. hehehe

Nickel Creek- bluegrass (because of them i came to know who Bill Monroe and Sam Bush)

Collin Raye/Trisha Yearwood- pop country

Old Crow Medicine Show- old timey (due to them i learned country music's early history hehehe)

Bob Dylan- folk (i ame to know Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger)

Kurt Cobain- i know rock ni sya pero if ala pa nko nabasa tong book about iya life, i wouldn't know who Leadbelly and Son House is

and of course, BECK! heehehehehe he's the guy who can sing almost anything from banjo tunes to folk tunes to bluegrass to rock to hiphop without any difficulty...
    Last edited by countrykidanthony; 07-14-2009 at 10:04 PM.

still alive and kickin.... grandpa rocks!

salamat sa answer countrykid.do you play in a band?unique jud kayo ka whehehehhehe

i jam with some people pero dili jud matawag nga ako banda. collective ra depende kinsa available hehehe..

maybe soon if naay pareha nko hilig ganahan mo play bluegrass/folk/celtic /trad country
    Last edited by countrykidanthony; 07-15-2009 at 08:05 AM.

9.    Advertisement