Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

Default Building a High End QuadCore RIG with items coming from istorya.net sellers

This thread is about building my High End QuadCore RIG with most of the items (90%) coming from istorya.net users and the rest of the items are recycled from my old PC.

The purpose of building this RIG is to have high end 2nd hand / used parts but could really perform on high end applications / games.

When I say high end, it is only comparable to the Core2Quad / Core2Duo family. Intel i-series is clearly away and out of this comparison. Also im considering non-generic and common parts (example: generic psu) and the usability of the parts if ever this RIG would be upgraded.

A little thought as well. Rarely you will find a seller that sells an i7 / i5 / i3 build or parts only for i-series setup like mobo, proc and memory (DDR3) at the buy and sell section so that's the reason im sticking to an LGA775 RIG because there are a lot of sellers at the buy and sell section that sell spare parts for an LGA775 RIG.

I will be updating this thread once or twice everyday on the progress of my build.

So let's start with the buid.

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
    purchased from Simoko @ Php5,300
    Originally I decided to have a Core2Duo E8400 rig but since naglisod gyud ko pangita processor alone since the sellers prefer to have both mobo and cpu purchased in 1 package then i decided to have a Q6600 instead since it could be overclocked to a stable 3 Ghz.

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5QL Pro
    purchased from St1tch3s @ Php2,500
    I was looking for a P45 chipset. I was specifically looking at buying a P5Q Pro series mobo but i got a bargain from St1tch3s for his P5QL Pro P43 chipset mobo selling @ Php2,500 only. I was lucky to see the ad within 10 mins from posting and i got the mobo within 2 hours from his post.

this is just the first installment of the thread. Check out later as I update my build.

Thanks.
    Last edited by siopao1984; 05-22-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added sentences

High-end? Morag dili na karon siguro ma consider ni nga high-end pa?

Quote Originally Posted by anonemus View Post
    literally maybe, but usability is much to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by anonemus View Post

high end sa quad core... im not considering mga bgo kron na i3 i5 and i7... mas higher pa gyud na sila na specs...

2nd installment

POWER SUPPLY: Silverstone ST60F Modular 600W Continuous
    purchased from killercity @ Php4,500
    I was considering a HEC Zephyr 750W that i purchased from simoko but there are way too many cables that are not usable so i went ahead and used a modular PSU to minimize unnecessary cables

this is my 2nd choice PSU - way too many cables to manage
    purchased from simoko @ Php2,000

so much to consider that this will be a high end for me speaking of the quad itself..^_^..

3rd installment

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Blue Orb
    purchased from jjhe @ Php1,300
    I was choosing between the Thermaltake Blue Orb and the CoolerMaster Gemini. I decided to choose the Blue Orb because of design,workmanship and air flow. I also considered LED lights in choosing the cooler and since the Gemini does not have LED lights on the fan I settled with the Blue Orb. Too bad the CoolerMaster 120mm fans with LED came late as killercity just posted yesterday his items in which I also reserved.

UPDATE as of May 24: I will be removing the Thermaltake Blue Orb but instead will use the Coolermaster V8 acquired from killercity. Item was traded with my Sunbeamtech UV Acrylic HTPC case.

my 2nd choice CPU cooler - Coolermaster Gemini
    purchased from simoko @ Php900

SOON TO BE INSTALLED (update May 24, 2010)
    Coolermaster V8 from killercity

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MEMORY: Team Elite Xtreem DDR2 1066 2 x 2GB (4GB Kit) Overclocking Memory Modules
    purchased from Simoko @ Php4,200
    My motherboard supports up until DDR1066 and has OC 1666 FSB so I did not consider any DDR667 or DDR800 memory modules. This is somewhat kind of a bargain since a 2 GB Kingston DDR800 is selling around 2k brand new the last time i checked.

OPTICAL DRIVE: LG 22x DVD+/-RW with Lightscribe SATA
    brand new item, never been used. acquired from enteroryan with Netgear WGR614v7 wireless router via trade of my Linksys WRT54G2 Router + Php500 cash
    My first preference is always Asus but it is always out of stock so I settled for an LG drive.

CASING / CHASSIS: Silverstone TJ04
    acquired from Spookey via trade of my Windows7 Ultimate 64 Bit
    reference pic:

Last edited by siopao1984; 05-25-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: added V8

good luck sa imo build brad. remember to have fun. hehe =)

thank you sir mil... yeah im having fun... since this is the first time i got most of my items from istorya...

anyway this is my 4th installment:

HARD DRIVES:
    2 pcs Seagate Barracuda 1 Terabyte 7200.12 and
    1 pc Western Digital Green 640 GB
    cost: N/A - hard drives are coming from my old system

I remember the cost of the 1 TB Seagate Hard Drive was Php4200 around January and Php2800 for the 640 GB Western Digital Green.
    This is still a temporary setup for my hard drives since im planning to remove the 640 GB Western Digital and add 2 more Seagate hard drives, at that time it would be 2 pcs 2 Terabytes (and I hope that the price would lower down by June).
    You may ask why I have such big storage drives? Kuwang pa gyud na gni ang 2 ka 1 TB hard drive. Im a torrent freak and my PLDT DSL connection is really fast, i could download a 700MB movie in less than 15mins. I collect most of the illegal stuffs on those hard drives...shhh... hehehe

reference pics:
    Seagate

WD

HARD DRIVE CABLES:
    2 pcs UV Green SATA Cables - Link Depot (Right Angled / 90 degrees)
    2 pcs UV Red SATA Cable - Link Depot (Right Angled / 90 degrees)
    acquired from Der FüHRER - all for Php700
    I want a UV effect on the computer without adding neon lights. I

FANS and ACCESSORIES:
    I decided to have a UV effect so the following items were purchased / acquired:

2 pcs DeepCool 120mm UV Green Fan with UV LED
    acquired from Der FüHRER @ Php350 each

5 pcs UV GREEN PCI Slot Covers
    acquired from Der FüHRER @ Php150 if i remembered correctly

3 pcs UV GREEN Spiral Wrap @ 1 meter each
    acquired from Der FüHRER @ Php120 per piece

2 pcs Sunbeamtech UV reactive CCFL light
    cost: N/A - recycled from old computer
    price on the market today is around Php380 ~ Php400 for 2 bulbs and 1 inverter circuit
    These will be used for the UV effect on the spiral wraps, the sata cables, PCI slot covers and the UV fans.

FRONT PANEL:
    Coolermaster Musketeer (Analog Fan Controller with Voltage Meter, VU Meter and Temerature Sensor)
    bought from jhnpl way back 2008 @ Php 900

CARD READER:
    CDR-King but i managed to remove the label
    cost: N/A recycled from old computer.
    price of the new item from CDR-King is Php280

VIDEO CARD:
    I still haven't found a seller with a good deal for a video card so im using my temporary NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT 1 GB DDR2 128 bit
    Last edited by siopao1984; 05-20-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: formatting

5th installment:

CPU and cooler installation

Memory Installation

Changing old CMOS battery to new one

Test for Power On Self Test (P.O.S.T.)
    since the Silverstone PSU was mounted already on the chassis then I used temporarily the HEC Zephyr 750 to test for POST. So far so good.
    Im using a temporary Inno3D Geforce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 128bit

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast