Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Default Re: Recommend me some Foreign (Non-English) Films!

Quote Originally Posted by BertR View Post
    Hmmm... murag imong type kay accessible artsy world cinema... I think you will like the following:

Of Gods and Men (Beauvois, France)
    Incendies (Villeneuve, Canada)
    I Saw the Devil (Kim, South Korea)
    The Man from Nowhere (Lee, South Korea)
    13 Assassins (Miike, Japan)
    In a Better World (Bier, Denmark)

Broken Embraces (Almodovar, Spain)
    Dogtooth (Lanthimos, Greece)
    The Milk of Sorrow (Llosa, Peru)
    Mother (Bong, South Korea)

Lorna's Silence (Dardenne Brothers, Belgium)
    Revanche (Spielman, Austria)
    Gomorrah (Garrone, Italy)
    The Good, The Bad, The Weird, (Kim, South Korea)
    Il Divo (Sorrentino, Italy)
    Three Monkeys (Ceylan, Turkey)
    Tokyo Sonata (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Japan)

The Diving Bell & The Butterfly (Schnabel, France)
    The Edge of Heaven (Akin, Turkey)
    Persepolis (Satrapi&Paronnaud, Iran)

The Host (Bong, South Korea)
    Pan's Labyrinth (del Toro, Mexico)
    The Lives of Others (Donnersmarck, Germany)
    Volver (Almodovar, Spain)

The Beat that My Heart Skipped (Audiard, France)
    A Bittersweet Life (Kim, South Korea)
    The Child (Dardenne Brothers, Belgium)
    Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Park, South Korea)
    Tsotsi (Hood, South Africa)

The Chorus (Barratier, France)
    The Downfall (Hirschbiegel, Germany)
    The Educators (Weingartner, Germany)
    The Sea Inside (Amenabar, Spain)

Evil (Hafstrom, Sweden)
    Memories of Murder (Bong, South Korea)
    Osama (Barmaq, Afghanistan)
    The Return (Zvyagintsev, Russia)
    Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Kim, South Korea)
    Zatoichi (Kitano, Japan)

Distant (Ceylan, Turkey)
    The Son (Dardenne Brothers, Belgium)
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Park, South Korea)
    Talk to Her (Almodovar, Spain)

Amelie (Jeunet, France)
    Das Experiment (Hirschbiegel, Germany)
    The Devil's Backbone (del Toro, Mexico)
    Spirited Away (Miyazaki, Japan)
    No Man's Land (Tanovic, Bosnia & Herzegovina)
    Behind the Sun (Salles, Brazil)
    Ichi The Killer (Miike, Japan)

Amores Perros (Iñarritu, Mexico)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Lee, HK)
    JSA (Park, South Korea)
    Peppermint Candy (Lee, S. Korea)

Oh syaro... hehe.. Kana lang sa na mga movies sa 2000s Wa pa nay labot sa B&W's kay naa man uban di ganahan B&W... Pero I think you will like them...

To start with 5, I'd recommend:
    The Return (Andrei Zvyaginsev, 2003)
    Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring (Kim Ki-duk, 2003)
    Mother (Bong Joon-ho, 2009)
    Talk to Her (Pedro Almodovar, 2002)
    Three Monkeys (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2008 )
    Power list.

keep it coming

up lang nko para naapay daghan maka suggest...

Nag movie marathon ko karon ug mga foreign language pero mostly japanese:
    -Haevnen In a Better World - Denmark
    -Tokyo Story - Japan
    -Memories of Matsuko - Japan
    -Twilight Samurai - Japan
    -When A Woman Ascends the Stairs - Japan

Daghan pa ko tan-awonon.. I'll post next time

Quote Originally Posted by kenites View Post
    Nag movie marathon ko karon ug mga foreign language pero mostly japanese:
    -Haevnen In a Better World - Denmark
    -Tokyo Story - Japan
    -Memories of Matsuko - Japan
    -Twilight Samurai - Japan
    -When A Woman Ascends the Stairs - Japan

Daghan pa ko tan-awonon.. I'll post next time
    NICE!
    hmmm what can you say about Haevnen? It's a good film but for me Dogtooth should still have won the Academy Awards (not that it matters.. hehe). Haevnen actually reminds me of the Russian movie "The Return," sa themes ug characters, kung wapa ka kita I recommend you this one too, easily way better.

So ni-watch na gyud kag Tokyo Story? I think it's a tremendous Ozu masterpiece and When a Woman Ascends the Stairs is also a stunning, brilliant Naruse.

Twilight Samurai is also a good one. I haven't seen Memories of Matsuko, musta man cya? Sa mga salida ni Nakashima, "Kamikaze Girls" ra akong nakit-an nya so-so lang.

If you're in the mood for Japanese B&W's, I'd recommend you Hiroshi Teshigahara's "Woman in the Dunes"

^^ Naa pa diay usa I watched lately ..

-In the Mood For Love - Hong Kong

I think I lacked adjectives in describing the movie I watched .... pero I do agree with you, I want Dogtooth to win the best foreign film award in oscars...that movie is shockingly weird..

Though I liked them all ( Tokyo Story, When Woman Ascends, Woman in Dunes) but I still love the strangeness of Woman in Dunes

I'm not familiar with the other works of Nakashima but I like Memories of Matsuko..It is somewhat colorful, comical and tragic story of Matsuko-san...

I would like to comment of the movie you posted in another thread..Uncle Boonmee...wala man ko kasabot ..it seems that the story has no connectivity..I dunno maybe coz of cultural difference

^^ Naa pa diay usa I watched lately ..

-In the Mood For Love - Hong Kong

I think I lacked adjectives in describing the movie I watched .... pero I do agree with you, I want Dogtooth to win the best foreign film award in oscars...that movie is shockingly weird..

Though I liked them all ( Tokyo Story, When Woman Ascends, Woman in Dunes) but I still love the strangeness of Woman in Dunes

I'm not familiar with the other works of Nakashima but I like Memories of Matsuko..It is somewhat colorful, comical and tragic story of Matsuko-san...

I would like to comment of the movie you posted in another thread..Uncle Boonmee...wala man ko kasabot ..it seems that the story has no connectivity..I dunno maybe coz of cultural difference
    waaahhh nitan-aw kag Uncle Boonmee nya wapa ka kita sa previous niyang salida? hehe
    Bitaw, yes, I agree cultural differences is one of the reasons maglisod kag sabot sa iyang movies because they play on Buddhist themes, especially reincarnation, among many other culturally-related elements.

BUT I tell you try to watch his previous films, especially "Tropical Malady," "Blissfully Yours," and "Syndromes and a Century" then watch Uncle Boonmee again you will really appreciate this film. Kay ang Uncle Boonmee murag gi-recapitulate ni Weerasethakul tanan brilliant about his previous movies...

Usa sa pinaka-recurring themes sa iyang movies is DUALITY. When you watch his movies, think RURAL/URBAN, FOREST/CITY, MAN/WOMAN, DEATH/LIFE, SHOT/REVERSE SHOT.

Simple raman ang supposedly plot sa Uncle Boonmee...

SPOILER BELOW:

It's about a dying Boonmee who is tended by his nephew, aunt, ug katong taga Laos nga katabang. Through the process, not only has he the need to accept the death process but kato pud family that surrounds him.

IMO, Boonmee represents Thailand nga nag transition from past (rural life, conservative, strong Buddhist influences, war-torn) to present (liberal, "free", urban) at first ni-resist siya to die or change but remember kato ni adto clag cave murag na-revisit nila ang past? So before siya ni transition from past to present, he was visited by spirits from his past, then he-relived his so-called previous lives as a "cow" then as a "princess" (kato nakig s3x sa fish.. hehe) then "soldier." Throughout these times, there was always the monkey spirit watching him...

At the same time, I think Boonmee represents the director Weerasethakul as he melancholgically (melancholy and nostalgia) contemplates sa iyang previous works and is probably saying something a shift sa iyang filmmaking.

SPOILERS END

But as I told didto sa 2001: A Space Odyssey na post, ambot naa ba ka ato didto, it's NOT all time nga ang movies kinahanglan ug maka-move nga plot para ganahan ka, it's also dependent on EMOTION, FEELING, unsa na-invoke na feeling sa elements sa salida maski di kaayo ing-ana ka appealing ang plot, or wa kaayo ka nakasabot sa tibook movie, etc. I prefer movies that are up for interpretations kaysa direct kay nig ma figure out nimo tanan aspects sa movie with utmost assurance murag mawala ang magical element niya.

In The Mood for Love! Love that film to death too. Probably my favorite Wong movie also.

Ah so nitan-aw napud diay kag "Woman in the Dunes"?
    I think it's a really stunning masterpiece too. Ang kataw-anan was the scientist nga nag-study maoy gi-studyhan napud. And makompare nimo siya sa 2001: A Space Odyssey, kung kakita naka.. kay it touches on elements about man's materialistic nature, the need for space, the need to fill his unquenchable curiosity, and on what makes men's existence meaningful...I hope you liked it.

This is somewhat OT but just read that American filmmaker Sidney Lumet just died, RIP Mr. Lumet

@BertR --- hadlok man ta tan-aw other Weerasethakul's works kay basin dili napud ta kasabot ...pero cge2x I'll try to watch his other movies

---Yah I've watched 2001 Space Odyssey pero murag almost 10 yrs ago,,,i think i have to re watch it again

@BertR --- hadlok man ta tan-aw other Weerasethakul's works kay basin dili napud ta kasabot ...pero cge2x I'll try to watch his other movies

---Yah I've watched 2001 Space Odyssey pero murag almost 10 yrs ago,,,i think i have to re watch it again
    Yeah watch 2001:A Space Odyssey again. This is definitely one of my all time favorite films and the kind of movie I would watch at least every 5 years. Regarding Weerasethakul, di gid siya for all tastes maong wa ko ni-recommend diri nga thread kay tan-aw nako sa OP murag iyang gusto na movies kanang accessible cinema. But you can try.

I would also recommend nalang pud three of my favorite movies from last year (pero the first 2 actually released in 2009):
    I Am Love (Luca Guadagnino, Italy)
    White Material (Claire Denis, France)
    The Illusionist (Sylvain Chomet, France)

Fanaa and Ghajini....Bollywood movie ni sya starred by Aamir Khan...nindot ang twist sa story...

11.    Advertisement

Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast