Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456714 ... LastLast

I hope they make more movies.
    War on Stalingrad is based on the movie enemy at the gates. Hehe.

YouTube - Commanders at War-Stalingrad part 1/6
    Last edited by Kenshiro; 02-01-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Payter pud.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
    Haha. Same here. I can't count how many times I've watched the DVD as well as reruns on HBO. If I close my eyes I can hear the first few bars the opening theme. I also read and reread Stephen Ambrose's book many times over.

I'm such a BoB fan that when I was on a short visit to France, I took the trouble to go to Normandy and sign up for a guided tour of the different D-Day sites. We went to Ste Mere Eglise, where Dick Winters landed when he parachuted on the early morning of June 6, 1944. We saw the farmhouse where Col. Sink (played by Capt. Dale Dye) had his HQ, and the site where Easy Company executed that textbook-perfect assault on the German battery at Brecourt Manor. We also passed by the village of Carentan where Easy Company took heavy casualties. On a visit to the American Cemetery we walked among the grave site crosses. I noticed some of the names belonged to members of 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne (may or may not have been Easy Company).

I hope Pacific is just as evocative as Band of Brothers was. About high time the First Marines get their day in the limelight.
    Tarmac,

That is such an interesting trip , amazing .... Did they still have the old battery at Brecourt Manor? I'll try to find notes on 101st Airborne and Easy Co. should be an interesting read in comparison to the 506th

Master Yoda's Quote “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KE-25 View Post
    Tarmac,

That is such an interesting trip , amazing .... Did they still have the old battery at Brecourt Manor? I'll try to find notes on 101st Airborne and Easy Co. should be an interesting read in comparison to the 506th
    No, the battery has long since been removed. They say some wartime stuff is still buried there but the land owner doesn't care to dig them up, or have anyone else dig stuff up. The farmer who owns the land doesn't normally allow visitors in but the tour company I chose had a good working relationship with him and allowed us to go in.

Our tour guide was also a published author, a true authority on D-Day. He told us a lot of great side stories, stuff you didn't read in the book or see in the mini-series. He just about confirmed that one of my favorite BoB characters, the fearless Capt. Speirs (played by Matthew Settles), was a psychopath who wasn't above machine-gunning POWs or shooting his own men for cowardice.

Interestingly, one of our tour groupmates on that Normandy trip was a World War II Pacific campaign veteran. Assigned to the Navy Beach Battalions, his job was to go ashore with the first or second wave of invading Marines and establish ship-to-shore communications.

I had a great time talking to him, listening to his war stories. He was a veteran of the Peleliu, Saipan, Leyte, Iwo Jima and Okinawa campaigns. That's an astounding number of battles to be involved in!

One time he was pinned down on a beach in Saipan under heavy enemy fire. A Japanese battery was sniping at them from an elevated location. Decades later a sentimental journey to Saipan was organized by the US and Japanese government. For the first time in 60 years veterans of that bitter campaign met face to face. He actually met the man who was operating that battery. They have since become good friends.

I invited him to the Philippines. He said he had good memories of his stay here (he turned away from his wife and whispered that his fondest memory was of riding a carabao cart to look for girls). He would love to visit once again if he still had it in him--he didn't think he'd be around in the world for much longer. Before we parted, I thanked him for his part in liberating the Philippines.

I do hope he's still alive and that he gets to watch Pacific.
    Last edited by Tarmac; 02-01-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Wow!!! Its good to know people still love history and enjoy telling them, I thought the stories you've heard and especially speaking to a veteran from the 2nd World War was amazing and to top it off talking to him while you were walking on the very ground battles were fought is simply an experience of a lifetime.

Well come March it should be interesting to see how these Marines managed to survive and hear their stories from both sides, should be a blast!

More ..... hehe

Master Yoda's Quote “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Waiting for this one.

Blog Entries
    yup this should be a nice war series

nice jud ni..... BOB nice pud nga movie..

Blog Entries
    Yes a lot of war buffs are waiting for this one

giatngan pud ni nako..

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456714 ... LastLast