Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Default Old school music?? or new school music!?

non musical...there are alot of good 'nu school' drummers out there dude, don't know what your on about. if you listen to Brad Wilk, David Silveria, Abe Cunningham, Jimmy Chamberlin and many others i can't think of right now, you'll see they are more than timekeepers.

timekeepers? kanang tapad sa table sa mga ref og tig suwat sa stats sa basket?

RYAN.. you play drums? You know what musical means when it comes to drumming? The drummers you mentioned are good... but good doesn't necessarily mean that they're musical. They do their job... keep time, keep the groove.. but that's about it.
    Brad Wilk is mainly keeping it simple.. he's a total time keeper. David Silveria? Another time keeper.
    Abe Cunningham is good although still... he's just a timekeeper.
    Jimmy Chamberlain is musical as far as rock drumming goes.. but the latest ZWAN album, he hardly plays more than just time.

If you compare the drummers you mentioned to .. let's say... Danny Carey.. you can tell the difference... you can say what a musical drummer really is. Danny Carey adds sooooo many textures in his playing.. and I'm not only talking about odd time... it's how he dictates some parts of the songs with his groove. There's actually some tracks from the LATERALUS album which he dictates the melody with his intro.

Also... check Carter Beauford's work... although Carter isn't rock (the drummers you mentioned are rock drummers), his playing contributes to Dave Matthews' music rather than just keeping time. Imagine Dave Matthews' music with just a basic time-keeping drummer.

Why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

Quote Originally Posted by martinzky99
    new school rules!!!!!
    How I'd love to see a Limp Bizkit vs. Dream Theater showdown of musicalities. Oh....how cruel of me. Let's just make it Mudvayne vs. Van Halen. How does that sound? Tsk tsk tsk......game....set and match, Dream Theater and Van Halen.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    non musical...there are alot of good 'nu school' drummers out there dude, don't know what your on about. if you listen to Brad Wilk, David Silveria, Abe Cunningham, Jimmy Chamberlin and many others i can't think of right now, you'll see they are more than timekeepers.
    There is no question about the new school drummers' non-musicality. I have to agree with EZRA about them, being time-keepers.
    The drummers you have mentioned are good........but not that good compared to the older players. Compare them to Danny Carey. His odd time signatures are mind-blowing. Or compare the drummers you have mentioned to these drummers:
    - Mike Portnoy
    - Mike Zonder
    - Bill Bruford
    - Bill Cobham
    - Neil Peart
    - Simon Philips
    - Terry Bozzio

Those drummers I mentioned are KILLER drummers......and I mean KILLER.
    وليس هناك كعكه ، والكعكه هو كذبة.

I just bought Bozzio's video.. him and Chad Wackerman doing duets... they did a duet on ZAPPA's THE BLACK PAGE........ totally amazing. Bozzio's high toms are tuned like a piano.. so he played a piece with just his drums.

Why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

Quote Originally Posted by EZRA
    I just bought Bozzio's video.. him and Chad Wackerman doing duets... they did a duet on ZAPPA's THE BLACK PAGE........ totally amazing. Bozzio's high toms are tuned like a piano.. so he played a piece with just his drums.

...........sheesh i had goosebumps all over my body when i read this, eventhough i haven't seen the video but damn bozzio. Damn you Bozzio!!!! hehehehe. And i would like to wack that wackerman dude. I have this weird habit when i go to i-net cafe's; i download bozzio's drumkit, fill the whole screen with it, go find and download some bozzio solos and the freaky Duende of BLS, i hit the soundblasters to maximum, don't minding the other users, and stare at the screen. I try to understand to which and where do the drumnotes go, and everytime i do this,i go out of the cafe feeling good and drowsy, mahubog gyud ko ug paminaw,hehehehe.

..........RYAN AND MARTINSKY99,

here in the music and radio forum, when it comes to guitars; you must shut your mouth and listen to Carlo and Glassmoon and when it comes to drums, listen to Ezra and if Roadworthyman speaks, you shut up. And as for me, i'm just an unknown drummer in the music scene but i assure you, i'm not just a timekeeper. For you new-age-rock fans you don't know what you are talking about. You are all wannabees. You try to defend musicians (kuno, ambot lang ) that are mere timekeepers or should i say knows only 3 chords in the guitar.

In fact if you listen to Linkin Parks album it sounds like it's just one song. BORING BORING BORING BORING. Glassmoon named these bands; linkin park, limp, mudvayne, the GRR GRR bands, cause if you listen to their guitar riffs all you hear is grr grr, BORING BORING BORING. Rapping is just a sorry excuse or escape of not being able to compose a good melody. Let's me cut it down for you boring-new-age-rock-fans so that you can understand better:
    the new-metal band's music is;

drumlines or drummers are just timekeepers
    guitarists......no real solo, not even a decent chord progression
    bassists.....samot!!
    keys.....do they have keys??and if they have one, i'm sure it
    will sound like a church choir.
    vocalists.....they're rapping and shouting, they should change
    "vocalists" to "screamers or rappers", cause this
    guys don't know how to sing.
    i'll bet my life that if you listen to dreamtheater or maybe mr. big, you won't like it, cause.........YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND GOOD MUSIC!!!

BOTTOM LINE; NEW AGE METAL IS LOWER THAN DIRT.

Lol.. I just can't stand Big Hair Bands... my close friend and neighbor would blast Poison and GnR early in the morning... you may know him.. he used to be from SHS (Thaddeus Viacrusis).
    I liken Hair Bands to both Rappers and Wrestlers. I watched wrestling knowing they were all fakes, but I knew they could kick ass for real if they wanted to. I liken them to Rappers, because they embodied the 80's lifestyle of decadence and excess - just like rappers do today. And like most of those bands now, the rappers of today will be broke and in debt in a decade or so.

Slash is one of my all time favorite guitarists. I know how to play every song from their first 2 albums, and most of Use Your Illussion. And yes, I was 12 during that time.

Metallica makes thought-out songs... great arrangements.. the guitar players are a great mix ... I'm just not into metal but as far as metal goes, I would put them on top of my list (not because of the drumming).
    Listen to Pantera. Most of their stuff is harder to play than most Jazz Fusion.

ezra and glassmoon, i don't know who those drummers you guys mentioned are, so i'm not even gonna try to argue whether they are better or more musical, i ma just take your word for it...and as for fingolfin, dude, not everyone has the same taste in music as you, so don't be sayin shit like that...and Mr Big...haha, thats funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    ezra and glassmoon, i don't know who those drummers you guys mentioned are, so i'm not even gonna try to argue whether they are better or more musical, i ma just take your word for it...and as for fingolfin, dude, not everyone has the same taste in music as you, so don't be sayin s**t like that...and Mr Big...haha, thats funny.
    Thank you for taking our words for it. I guarantee no regrets.
    And as for Mr. Big.......it's not funny......they can blow away every new band with their musicality, diversity and skill....
    وليس هناك كعكه ، والكعكه هو كذبة.

FINGOLFIN.. too harsh but I would agree with most of the things you mentioned ....
    As far as MR.BIG.. these guys can play whatever style they want.. they're that good.. (I would use great but it wouldn't fit the phrase). Plus... they have that legendary bassist in their arsenal.

CARLO.. I listened to a few Pantera stuff since my ex-roommate was a metal freak. I just can't appreciate it since it was TOO DAMN FAST!
    Anyways.. I bet those old school Hair Bands can play anything they want.. first and foremost, they're musicians... sad to say that having that look is what sells back in the day.

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast