Default GPS Tracker Programming

Hello fellow devs!

Would like to ask some basic information about gps tracker hardware sa mga naka suway na diha ug develop using this kind of hardwares.

Sample gps tracker hardware (grabbed from aliexpress)

Questions in Bold
    I know that the gps tracker is communicating with satellites,what i dont knows is what satellites?
    I know that the data gathered by the tracker will be transmitted to a telco (that is why the tracker have a gsm simcard,right?),what i dont know is how to pull that data off so i can play with those data.
    What are the best brands of this hardwares you can recommend.

Im a bit knew to this GPS thing,so will appreciate sa mu hatag ug informations/tips ug free knowledge diha.

thank you in advanced

-ps kindly correct me if im wrong sa akon nahibaw-an

Your GPS/GLONASS tracker will need to communicate with at least 3 geo-stationary orbiting satellites (you tracker unit can then know its location/altitude using triangulation), it does not matter which satellite it needs to connect to. Depending on your GPS tracker kit, it may have its own API to communicate with other devices. Ang simcard sa imong GPS tracker kit ang gamit ana is only to send location data to your fleet management system using GPS/GPRS protocols (and not to your telco). Usahay kung mupalit ka ug fleet management system, apil na ang GPS trackers ana. All you need to configure is ang IP address sa imong fleet management system which becomes your server, and ang mga GPS tracker units kung asa nila i "push" or i forward ang location data to the server. In summary ang imong GPS tracker mo send ug location data padung sa imong fleet management server/tracking server over the internet (GSM/GPRS) - mao nay gamit sa sim card. Depende sa imong unit, it may also send its telemetry information via SMS, usually ang mga karaan nga GPS tracker ingon ani ang paagi.

In my arduino project, I have a GPS receiver unit which I used to send location information to my Linux PC (running MySQL). The GPS sensor is connected via RS232 and communicates using the standard NMEA 0183 (there are other sensors that uses GPX or KML format, but mas popular ang NMEA format). Ang arduino board is only used to gather data from my GPS sensor, and forwarding of the location data to my Linux server using TCP/IP (via ethernet sheild). My Linux server also runs gpsd (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpsd).

If you are building your own fleet management system, try looking at OpenGTS (Open GPS Tracking System), its web/Java based. But you may need some glue logic to connect to your GPS tracking device.

I'm not an expert in GPS, I'm only sharing what I knew from experience. If you need to know more, consult doctor google:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_tracking_unit
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_tracking_server
    http://www.opengts.org/index.html
    Last edited by kolz; 10-11-2016 at 01:40 PM.

niduwa2 ko ani pd sauna.

pero nag diy rako.

sa hardware side:
    arduino + sim908 na module naa na GPS og GPRS\GSM

then server:
    "traccar" or "opengts" gi-install sa ubuntu server sa amazon ec2

advantage sa hardware na diy ky pwedi ka moadd bisag unsa na mga sensor ganahan nimo, or add mga motor or unsa pa nahan nimo na security feature

Hello mga sirs, thank you sa mga inputs ninyo.

Kinda nosebleed pa sa terms but salamat kay naa na koy idea on where to start researching,balik kog pangutana once maka time nko ani.

Salamat kaayo.

Hi!

How does this differ to GPS tracking using mobile phone nga connected sa internet... bale same concept with grab,uber, etc....

Unsa ma achieved ani nga dili ma achieved using internet enabled smartphone?

Interesado pud ko sa in.ani nga tech application.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cebu-web-dev-gig View Post
    Hi!

How does this differ to GPS tracking using mobile phone nga connected sa internet... bale same concept with grab,uber, etc....

Unsa ma achieved ani nga dili ma achieved using internet enabled smartphone?

Interesado pud ko sa in.ani nga tech application.

Thanks!
    Technically they're almost the same, in fact the smartphone is much more capable in sending geo location since its almost like a small computer equipped with a GPS receiver. In fact you can download an app to make your smartphone act like a GPS tracker, and another phone to track - the likes of uber or grab.

They differ however on the applicability. A dedicated GPS tracker device can run for months or even years on battery power while a smartphone can probably last only a few days. Because of its dedicated GPS circuitry, the device is quite simple to operate. They are designed to operate in tough conditions and hence more rugged than other GPS devices. Because of their simple circuitry, they can also be made ubiquitous - and you can hide/conceal them anywhere on the target you want to track. Take a look at the lightbug - LightBug - World's smallest GPS Tracker. Other GPS trackers used on fleet management systems (such as vehicle/truck trackers) requires a robust and reliable signal coming from satellites - and so they are being designed with signal reception in mind, that's why you'll see them in large casings with a reliable power train from the vehicle's batteries. They are designed to receive signals even on remote areas so their antennas are more powerful than the GPS sensors you have on your phone.

Do note that there is a difference between the GPS receiver you have on your phone and the GPS receiver on most fleet management systems including the one posted by the thread starter. Your mobile phone will typically have A-GPS (Assisted) which is different from a normal GPS receiver. A normal GPS receiver will directly communicate with satellites, while AGPS is getting its location primarily from network stations via GSM/CDMA or LTE technologies (but fallbacks to normal GPS if network communication is not available). Technically AGPS is much better in getting signals since they are not obscured by cloud cover.
    Last edited by kolz; 10-26-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks for this inputs Bai!!!

For now, stick tingali ko sa smartphone para builtin na ang functionality to communicate into our web server via telco network. Pero nindot pud to ang lightbug, naa unta na sila api sa.

Good luck sa nagplano mag explore aning GPS.

I don't know much about this GPS Tracking program. But I have experience in using other programs like track my boyfriend's phone text messages without him knowing for free http://minspy.com/phone-tracker/track-my-boyfriends-phone-text-messages-without-him-knowing-for-free/ By using this free phone text messages app I can easily read what is my boyfriend doing. I don't need to take care of him each time. But an app can do that. LOL!

This thread will never be old I think. The GPS technologies are under development and improvement so it always be a reason to discuss GPS trackers and tracking systems by programming. If you want to track your phone, car or any type of vehicle or animals then you can choose your best GPS tracker here.

10.    Advertisement