Default Interview question: "Your job over your family, which would you choose?"

Hello fellow istoryans. I need your two cents or opinion over this question I have been asked now more than twice while looking for a job.

The scenario is this. I left my previous job to care for my sick mother (I am an only child and I am raised by a single mom). We could not afford to hire someone to watch her since her medications and procedure were quite costly (we had to sell some property just to get by). Now that she's better, I am back on the market again, looking for a job.

Several companies that I applied for did not bother to ask this question, but some did. It is customary for them to ask why you left your previous job, and of course I told them the whole truth.

But I was asked, 'Suppose your mother gets sick again, will you leave your job once more to care for her?'. I was stunned when I first heard this question being asked. Now that I have been asked it again while being interviewed, I'd like to see what others opinion about it is.

As a hiring manager, you have to ensure that the person you are hiring will be loyal to the company. Therefore, you must probe further in to judge their loyalty.

But then, do they really need ask that question, when in fact you already know what the answer is? Saying 'no' is clearly a lie; and for I am certain that anyone would choose family over their jobs in such circumstances. This is not America.

Is it also right and fair to judge the applicant, whether to hire him or not, over this question? Neither you nor I can predict the future, and even so, going back to my previous argument, no person will ever choose their job over their family.

My usual answer to this unusual question is, 'There are lots of other companies out there who are in need of my talents. But I have only one mother'.

What is your say over this matter?

Just try to answer it a less cocky and you're good to go

Quote Originally Posted by BolABug View Post
    Just try to answer it a less cocky and you're good to go
    I'll try that, but I still take offense to them asking such a question in the first place. I usually deem that this company is not the right place for me if I get asked that question. IMO, they should never ask that.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian7299 View Post
    I'll try that, but I still take offense to them asking such a question in the first place. I usually deem that this company is not the right place for me if I get asked that question. IMO, they should never ask that.
    sakto they are just attacking ur weakness bro and that sucks.. sa pamulong pa gi psycho raka unsay imong buhaton if such thing happen again.

Ang mga dagko nga company nga ako gi applyan wala jud ka ask ani, pero kining mga gagmay usually ang mo ask ana.

tungud siguro kini mga dagko company mo adhere ug standards, while sila dili.

If nhappen ni nko my answer is the same as yours bro. Im also an only child and i would pick family over a job anyday. If they cant accept that then its their lost not yours.

Family comes first. My reason to work is my family. If ever there comes a time that my family needs me, I hope I'm with a company that is flexible enough to understand their employee's priorities and see if I can file for a leave of absence instead of resigning.

Family, because its easy to replace our job but not our family unless were willing to commit adultery.
    Last edited by Kenshiro; 11-18-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    I always answer interview questions as honest as I can. In this case, family of course. Kung dili ka dawaton tungod imong gipili imong family, then that company is not the right one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian7299 View Post
    Ang mga dagko nga company nga ako gi applyan wala jud ka ask ani, pero kining mga gagmay usually ang mo ask ana.
    tungud siguro kini mga dagko company mo adhere ug standards, while sila dili.
    kasagaran dagko nga company naa enough man power nga mo cover kung kung dili maka trabaho.
    just be honest sa imo answer.. sumpayi lang pud ug unsa imo plans aron in the future dili ma apektohan ang imo availability sa trabaho

11.    Advertisement