Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default E-cigarettes not advisable for smokers – DOH

MANILA, Philippines - Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), increasingly popular among young Filipinos, are not advisable for those who want to quit smoking, the Department of Health (DOH) warned last week.

Anthony Leachon, DOH consultant for non-communicable diseases, e-cigarettes could not help a person who wants to stop smoking.

“Electronic cigarettes are not advisable since you don’t kick the habit. You can easily go back to smoking,” said Leachon.

He said if a person wants to quit but can’t do it on his own, he should consult a doctor for proper counseling and medication.

Maricar Limpin, executive director of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control Alliance Philippines, has expressed concern over the proliferation of e-cigarettes.

Limpin warned that e-cigarettes give a false sense of security because these are being marketed as something that would help one quit smoking “when, in fact, there is no evidence to prove that.”

Headlines ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

First developed in Beijing, the e-cigarette is an electronic device that looks like the real thing. By producing an inhaled mist, it supposedly simulates the act of tobacco smoking.

But Limpin said the e-cigarette is also addictive because the liquid used to produce vapor contains nicotine.

“E-cigarettes are being flavored to cover the (taste of nicotine). So you would think that there’s no nicotine in it until you develop addiction,” she said.

Nicotine is only one of the 70 toxic chemicals, 70 of them carcinogenic, found in cigarettes. These include butane, used in lighters; cadmium, used in batteries; stearic acid (candle wax); toluene (industrial solvent); ammonia (toilet cleaner); paint; methanol (rocket fuel); carbon monoxide; arsenic (poison); methane (sewer gas); acetic acid (vinegar) and hexamine (barbeque lighter).

Like cocaine and heroine, nicotine is addictive because it disturbs the balance of chemicals in a person’s brain.

During smoking, nicotine stimulates the blood pressure and oxygen level in the body, causing the release of dopamine in the brain.

Dopamine is a chemical that gives pleasurable feelings and since it is triggered by nicotine, it relies on this toxic substance to achieve the desired sensation, resulting in addiction.

So istoryan ano say ninyo about this issue? For me it's bullshit. I'm an ecig vaper and by far its the most effective and less hazardous compared to standard cigarettes.

I could care less about weaning from this habit courtesy of e-cigs. But the hazard with those things is that its material can leak into what you are smoking, hence you can inhale some of the chemicals like the plastics and the resins from which is was made from and this is carcinogenic.

I won't name my source but it actually came from some of the major distributors of the e-cigs here in cebu.

It is good but don't sit on it for too long.

And so is the traditional cigarettes.

I believe this call for banning of ecigs come from the makers of cigarettes and tabaccos, it's a competition.

2 words: vested interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwapito.com View Post
    And so is the traditional cigarettes.

I believe this call for banning of ecigs come from the makers of cigarettes and tabaccos, it's a competition.
    makers of tobaccos are actually in the process of making their own e-cgis.

e-cigs are probably better or more harmful, who knows. but just the same, you're still puffing something.

i'm just happy i don't have to worry about which one is safer. quit cold turkey eight years ago.

is it me or something smells "fishy" around here?
    am i smelling a "smoking" pressure from the tobacco industry?

Want to know about eCigarette please join
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/5860...=group_comment

We at Cebu Vapers Club will gladly answer your questions.

Blog Entries
    Looking at the big picture... this whole city is a big cigarette with all this pollution anyway. But I will still choose the lesser evil of not smoking..

it's ok if it can help you stop smoking, pero wala ra gihapon gamit if ma addicted ka sa e-cig nya mao nalang imo substitute sa actual cig, same thing

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast