Default Advice on FD Lenses

Hi guys!

I have a Canon 550D. Last December, I had the misfortune of having some of my equipment stolen, including my kit lens, which leaves me with just a body and a 50mm 1.8 lens.

Now, I am relieved since I almost always use my niftyfifty but now I need a wider angle lens with a longer focal length. A friend of mine recommended FD Lenses since their relatively cheap and usually built like a tank. I don't have a problem with doing manual focusing but I'm worried if these FD Lenses will "fry" my DSLR's electronics.

So what I'm asking you guys is...

1. Have you had any bad experiences with FD Lenses on DSLR Camera bodies?

2. What's the best adapter to use?

3. What's the best all-around FD Lens? The best zoom? The best wide-angle?

Thanks guys

murag si Cmontoya ang makatubag ug maau nimo ani.

dili man tingale maka fry ng FD lens sa imong DSLR kay wala man nay contacts sa pins, mura ra na ug samyang lenses. Mostly sa akong nahaibaw-an nag gamit ug FD lens kay mga prime lens ra.

Focusing in manual lenses without AF chip has never been easy for me, mao magpalaban ko ug Live View with exposure simulation.

you can't go wrong with FD lenses. so far i have never heard any incident of them "frying" DSLR electronics, mas makaguba pa ang new lenses especially those with IS and internal motors. i know someone using a 1000D and FD primes like 50, 35, and 20mm and so far wala man problem. i'm not a canon user though, so maybe those more familiar with canon history can answer better.

g_girl143:

YGPM, Ma'am.

FD mount man ang mount before the Canon decided to change to the current nga EOS.. sad to say di siya mo fit (if i'm not mistaken).. maybe with an adaptor.. if ma sakar (with adaptor) then go for it.. if wala it's better to get the EOS lens or a "cheaper" alternative kay ang Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or you can get another kit lens..

6.    Advertisement