Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default newbie dog lover

Hello Istoryans (i'm a newbie in this site too and i see people here are called such),

im a newbie dog owner/lover. i've had cynophobia since as long as i can remember but everything changed when my uncle gave us "whitey", a white aspin pup. he's such a doll and lambing kaau that i dared to connect to him. he had this appetite na murag basurahan where everything that's put in his bowl kay ia mahurot.

a few months nalingaw ako parents ug ako sister ug pakaon nia...then came that dreadful day na na.busy akong mom sa gawas and wala nia namalayan si whitey...she said basin kuno nigawas but akong cousins and i searched the entire 3 blocks away from us but we weren't able to find him...duda namo gikawat xa coz dogs dont just disappear and he's more than cute enough para kawaton...after mi nag acceptance na nawala na jd xa, cge lang mi talk about him sa balay kay mao nmn lang amo mabuhat...na sad jd ako parents especially ako papa who has become whitey's master tig tula...

this happened last november 2012, so by december, i decided to get another pup. this one's Abby and she's my very first dog na ako ang nag own.

she's a mix labrador/akita breed (or as claimed by the one who sold it to me)...i would have loved a pure breed dog with papers and all but i dont think mka live up ko sa "ideal" dog master...d ko ganahan ma substandard ko sa eye sa akong dog so i started with a mix breed first...

i feed him vitality puppy 3x/day and she gets access to her water bowl wherever she is sa balay (she stays inside sa house)
    i give her LC Vit 1ml per day and let her chew on pedigree denta stix once a day
    i also give her a bath 2x/week using "Coat Care" and put a dab here and there with doggie cologne para maganahan mag lambing akong family sa iaha (people here sa balay treat her like a baby if clean xa)

i also had her checked sa Animale Veterinaire sa Tres de Abril and she gets her regular shots and deworming done per schedule, 3rd niya na schedule ugma Jan 28,2013
    last december pud diay i noticed na naa xa tick infestation, so nkagamit pd ko niya ug frontline plus for puppies (which i may say kay effective kaayo)
    every afternoon we have our dog walks for mga 30-45 mins since naa xa naamigo sa unahan sa amoa si Cory (7month poodle) para at least ma socialize xa with other dogs...they often restle

now by Feb im planning na magpahimo ug cage for her but im also thinking of getting a pure labrador for my bday...akong dilemma kay if magbuhi kog pure lab, based on how i'm raising abby, is it enough to sustain the needs of a labrador retreiver?

having 2 dogs is not an issue man pud coz i have a cousin who loves dogs too pero based on knowledge, i think i know more about raising a dog compared to her. pero para nko di pa man enough akong knowledge gud and mahadlok/maulaw ko mag buhi2 ug labrador nya d ra diay to nko magampanan ug tarong....

so i ask you istoryans if my decision to get another puppy is a wise decision, and to ask for suggestions on dog raising...

Just some comments

- About this: "i would have loved a pure breed dog with papers and all but i dont think mka live up ko sa "ideal" dog master...d ko ganahan ma substandard ko sa eye sa akong dog so i started with a mix breed first..."

all dogs are essentially the same, no matter what breed. as long as you take good care of the dog, he will love you as much as any other dog would and will never consider you "substandard". the difference lng is the energy level of the dog & the extra care required for certain breeds (for example, huskies need cold atmosphere because of their thick fur & skin. they would suffer in hot places. other examples: long-haired dogs will need grooming to prevent matting of fur. Dogs with flabby skin (like bulldogs, pugs, etc) will need extra cleaning especially between their skin folds. Pitbulls tend to have very sensitive skin, so they may need certain diets, etc)

As for the care you are providing, everything sounds good
    Vitality is a very good dog food.
    About the LC Vit, check lng if 1mL is appropriate for your pup. the dosage is 0.5-2mL, so pups usually get only 0.5. If you haven't asked your vet yet, it's better to ask and see what dosage is best since not all vits are water-soluble hehe
    About the bathing, once a week is enough since dogs need their "natural oils" to keep their fur and skin healthy. excessive bathing may cause the fur to be damaged/weak/dull.
    Walks are best done in the morning because it starts off the dog's day. it will tire out your pup so that the rest of the day, she won't be so hyper-active and anxious, which will make it easier to train her.

based on what you have shared, you're a very good owner and i'm sure your pup is really happy but in my opinion, maybe you should wait a while before getting another dog (especially a large breed like a lab) since you have your hands full with your first pup. you'll need to make the most of this year (her first year of life) to train her and discipline her. personally i think it's difficult enough to raise one pup the right way. raising two at the same time would be really tough. try to get into the rhythm of raising your pup, and make sure she is exactly the way you want her to be (calm, submissive, gentle -- never spoiled, aggressive, or dominant).

you should read online / watch nat geo and learn more from Cesar Millan ("Dog Whisperer"). You'll learn so much about dog psychology and that way you can get to know what your dog really needs from you

raising a dog or buying a dog will be a forever commitment.needs time jud hinoon na.

as long as you give a part of your time sa imo puppy, and with proper foods and training, She will become a great dog may even be greater sa mga pure breed dogs na kuwang sa attention sa ilang mga pa tuga tuga nga amo. and btw shes a cutie.

Quote Originally Posted by sing19 View Post
    Just some comments

- About this: "i would have loved a pure breed dog with papers and all but i dont think mka live up ko sa "ideal" dog master...d ko ganahan ma substandard ko sa eye sa akong dog so i started with a mix breed first..."

all dogs are essentially the same, no matter what breed. as long as you take good care of the dog, he will love you as much as any other dog would and will never consider you "substandard". the difference lng is the energy level of the dog & the extra care required for certain breeds (for example, huskies need cold atmosphere because of their thick fur & skin. they would suffer in hot places. other examples: long-haired dogs will need grooming to prevent matting of fur. Dogs with flabby skin (like bulldogs, pugs, etc) will need extra cleaning especially between their skin folds. Pitbulls tend to have very sensitive skin, so they may need certain diets, etc)

As for the care you are providing, everything sounds good
    Vitality is a very good dog food.
    About the LC Vit, check lng if 1mL is appropriate for your pup. the dosage is 0.5-2mL, so pups usually get only 0.5. If you haven't asked your vet yet, it's better to ask and see what dosage is best since not all vits are water-soluble hehe
    About the bathing, once a week is enough since dogs need their "natural oils" to keep their fur and skin healthy. excessive bathing may cause the fur to be damaged/weak/dull.
    Walks are best done in the morning because it starts off the dog's day. it will tire out your pup so that the rest of the day, she won't be so hyper-active and anxious, which will make it easier to train her.

based on what you have shared, you're a very good owner and i'm sure your pup is really happy but in my opinion, maybe you should wait a while before getting another dog (especially a large breed like a lab) since you have your hands full with your first pup. you'll need to make the most of this year (her first year of life) to train her and discipline her. personally i think it's difficult enough to raise one pup the right way. raising two at the same time would be really tough. try to get into the rhythm of raising your pup, and make sure she is exactly the way you want her to be (calm, submissive, gentle -- never spoiled, aggressive, or dominant).

you should read online / watch nat geo and learn more from Cesar Millan ("Dog Whisperer"). You'll learn so much about dog psychology and that way you can get to know what your dog really needs from you

thanks for the compliment mam...

the same reason why i joined the CSDC...there had been a lot of people who are helping me make my decisions with how i raise Abby...i've meet kuya dodong and other dog breeders/owners who have had their dogs for years...
    and btw, i decided to get the labrador...coz i thought this hobby is far healthier compared to playing online games...hehehe
    so far i still havn't had him yet, this weekend we'll be together though...

regarding raising the pup, i think i've become the young (since im quite new to all these...hehe) master i always wanted to be...
    she treats me differently compared to the other people here...her energy drains my weary day from work even if she tends to get "too energetic"...hehehe...i can only walk her in the afternoon since i arrive home late the morning from work...sadly...that's the only routine i can have with her...but i do give her a part of my day for the walks...for the vitamins, she does have a vet who looks after her health on a professional level...so far, the doctor asked me to change to Brewer's Yeast since she's a bit grown up now and would require a higher dose of any supplement...so far Abby likes eating this supplement so i havn't really tried to manually give it to her forcefully...

Quote Originally Posted by taga-isla View Post
    raising a dog or buying a dog will be a forever commitment.needs time jud hinoon na.
    mao jud bro...it's like having a kid (pero wa pa koy anak to really compare...hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by leekiaM View Post
    as long as you give a part of your time sa imo puppy, and with proper foods and training, She will become a great dog may even be greater sa mga pure breed dogs na kuwang sa attention sa ilang mga pa tuga tuga nga amo. and btw shes a cutie.
    mao gani na ako gi mean na substandard na owner...luoy pud kaayo atong pets if ingana ang owner...thanks for the compliment bai

Blog Entries
    My aspin brings me so much joy!

https://www.istorya.net/forums/pets/5...-delivery.html

Nyor,try to visit this thread you can find here good quality and affordable products to your pets.

I'm a member of CSDC also.thank you

If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it;
    to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and,
    prospectively, to equally profound sadness.

d jd na malikayan ang loss nato nila
    bt thats d beauty of having someone
    they'r unique
    d more reason na ato pahimuslan mau ato time ani nila
    wether theyr ur pets or ur family

Nice gyud kaayo being a dog companion ky ur helping urself to be more responsible bsag wla kaayo time every ting.klase ky mangita gyud ka ways para masuroy cla together. Now we have 3 pups and 1 adult dog nah. Nice au cla tan.awon.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast