Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carinderia Buffet

A Manila-based restaurant that offers eat-all-you-can buffet of Filipino cuisine for P99 only is making waves. It was featured recently in the Manila Bulletin.

Filipinos live a fast life. From daily commutes all the way to food preparation, the country has adapted a lifestyle that follows a quick regimen. Office lunch hour meals or any ‘on-the-go’ food fix usually ends up at the nearest “turo-turo” stall. However, cash-strapped and budget-tied, it’s still difficult to splurge on pigging out and soothing the palate’s insatiable needs.

There is now a food destination that has the elements that definitely appeal to what Filipinos value – fast, cheap, and certainly delicious. The Carinderia Buffet along V. Luna Avenue in Quezon City gives diners the full dining experience of a corner stall carinderia and more.

For only P99, you can feast on an all-Filipino menu buffet. Yes, you heard it right, you can take all the food that your heart and your stomach can muster for a measly P99. In case you’re wondering, how would a restaurant provide so much for such a low price?

“We’ve managed to access the cheapest resources for our ingredients because of our commissary Giant Sari-sari Store and Mini Palengke. We also cut down on our overhead expenses. That’s why we know that it can be done at P99,” says Hyman Garcia, owner of the Carinderia Buffet.

The restaurant provides all the necessities of a casual dining experience. It offers minimalist Filipino interiors with white walls, warm lighting, and a high ceiling that creates a well ventilated space even without the use of air conditioning. Overall, the ambience is that of any local canteen which is positive because it doesn’t draw any attention away from what matters most: the food.

Don’t be fooled, the price maybe cheap but it doesn’t compromise the quality of the food available. An off-shoot of the famous Kamay Kainan chain of restaurants, the Carinderia Buffet follows the original recipe concocted by the owner’s mother, Natividad Garcia.

Like any carinderia, the restaurant’s menu is a smorgasbord of all-Filipino food. The restaurant offers around 40 different types of Filipino entrées from appetizers all the way to desserts.

For starters, the restaurant has dishes like kilawin, cucumber salad, chicharong bulaklak, and lato or seaweed salad. These provide quick and easy nibbles just to get the palate going.

After warming up to a light appetizer, it’s off to the main dishes. The choices provide a variety of different types of dishes fit for diners coming from all walks of life. For veggie lovers, there are dishes like adobong kangkong, kilawing puso ng saging, toge ginisa, ginataang langka, pinakbet, pancit bihon, and bamboo shoots with halaya.

Although on the low-end side, the buffet also includes choices of seafood dishes such as dalagang bukid escabeche, galunggung with tausi, ginataang kuhol, clam stew, and a choice of fried bangus, galunggung, and dalagang bukid.

In the spirit of classic carinderia menu, there are the ‘all-time classics’ like abodong baboy, adobong manok, dinuguan, binagoongan, chicken afritada, bopis, pinapaitan, and caldereta.

The buffet also has classic Filipino desserts like kamote chips, fried saging na saba, puto, kutsinta, and minatamis na saging. Traditional in every sense of the word, these sweet delights round out a hearty meal with a taste that is all too familiar to the Filipino merienda lovers.

From the name all the way to its food and service, the restaurant is clear cut in what it presents to its customers. The simplicity in concept and its execution is really something noteworthy to consider as far the place is concerned. “I want it to be really straightforward. We serve carinderia food,” Garcia says. No pretentions, no sugar coating, just good food and a lot of out the Carinderia Buffet at 31 V. Luna Avenue corner Mabilis Street, Quezon City. The restaurant is open daily from 10am until 9pm.

Source - Pig-out cheap | Manila Bulletin

genius....

Banned User
    Blog Entries
    its not the first one... galinya ra na cla diha sa v.luna dapit sa campo... naa pud na sa may mindanao ave.. going to project 6 just after veterans.. 99.. barato na jud na para manila...

kita ko ani sa tv, ang davao murag naa pod ingon ani, pinoy foods tag 99 ra sad ang buffet..

when kaha ni moabot dire sa cebu? i like this

Naay similar ani sa luyo sa Redemptorist Church..mga 5 years ago ko naka-last og adto..tag php49 ra pero 3-4 dishes + soup for the day..usually adobaw, humba, ginaling, rellenong tawong, crabmeat, sweet and sour pork, lumpia shanghai + linatang sabaw sa baka, monggos tinunoan, utan bisaya...basta never more the 3-4 dishes..,....duol sa garahe sa bus (forgot the bus liner name)....don't know if it still exists...

It was your basic carinderia...open and at the side of the street....many office workers in and around uptown frequented the place.....basic carinderia taste, nothing special pero very sulit....ate their about 5-6 times....

I'll definitely give Carinderia Buffet a try next time I visit Manila.

Some friends of mine in Quezon City tried Carinderia Buffet after I showed them this thread. They felt the food was good and worthy for returns.

I am on my way there!

Quote Originally Posted by mildman1987 View Post
    I am on my way there!
    Me too. I'll be there next week.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast