Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying SIGMA 17-50 / 17-70 Comtemporary

Hi I am looking either of these lenses this coming December. I hope to get it in a cheaper price as I am really on a tight budget and just a hobbyist. My camera body is: Nikon D3400

Sigma 17-50/2.8 EX DC OS HSM
    Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 OS "Contemporary ---1st choice.

I am also selling my kit as I am in need of extra funds for the lenses mentioned above:
    Nikon AF-P 18-55mm VR
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8G for Nikon

two cents lang.
    i own a sigma 17-50 2.8 ex dc os hsm. its not that far from the kitlens unless you shoot all the time in dark environments. if you do get a 17-70, might want to look at an ultra wide like a tokina 11-16.

Quote Originally Posted by johndorf92 View Post
    two cents lang.
    i own a sigma 17-50 2.8 ex dc os hsm. its not that far from the kitlens unless you shoot all the time in dark environments. if you do get a 17-70, might want to look at an ultra wide like a tokina 11-16.
    im planning to buy the same lens as well, to be my standard zoom lens and semi wide angle, unsa imo pasabot bai nga pareha ra siya sa kit lens? pareha silag image quality? i heard good things about the lens sa mga online reviews ra nuon

two cents lang.
    I would expect it to have much better IQ according to reviews and tests I read online but thank you for the info it isn't my first choice though.

Do you experience any lense creep downside/upside position?

Quote Originally Posted by bamz23 View Post
    im planning to buy the same lens as well, to be my standard zoom lens and semi wide angle, unsa imo pasabot bai nga pareha ra siya sa kit lens? pareha silag image quality? i heard good things about the lens sa mga online reviews ra nuon
    kit lenses as of late have been getting better and better. edge detection is pretty sharp and provides good enough bokeh for someone who doesn't make photography as a living. only when you zoom in about 200 to 300%, there you'll find the differences on how the lenses react to creating the pixels and the edge detection and the creaminess of the bokeh. 2.8 is also pretty wide, I guess this is what you're really paying for when you get the lens. in not so well lit environments, the 2.8 aperture shines. it focuses faster, creates a better and brighter image, and the bokeh is much better.

if you don't have a standard zoom lens, get the sigma.
    if you still have your basic kitlens, skip on the standard zoom. get a wide angle like a 11-16 for landscape or a longer zoom like a 80-200 or 300.

Quote Originally Posted by jgaropel View Post
    I would expect it to have much better IQ according to reviews and tests I read online but thank you for the info it isn't my first choice though.

Do you experience any lense creep downside/upside position?
    lens creeping? non so far.

lens creeping? non so far.
    I see thank you.

Maybe those that posted reviews got a bad quality of lens as they claimed. Kinda skeptical of this issue since the the lock is only for the 17mm.

Anyway I was rooting for 17-70 as all around lens for events and travel. Having to switch my kit and prime while shooting is really not ideal as I am missing some good shots probably while changing.

Quote Originally Posted by jgaropel View Post
    I see thank you.

Maybe those that posted reviews got a bad quality of lens as they claimed. Kinda skeptical of this issue since the the lock is only for the 17mm.

Anyway I was rooting for 17-70 as all around lens for events and travel. Having to switch my kit and prime while shooting is really not ideal as I am missing some good shots probably while changing.
    check out henrys in ayala. for 22k, the 17-70 2.8 is pretty good for the price.

Jgaropel ill share my experience and why I bought a Sigma 17-50 instead of the 17-70 which was also my first choice before and why im selling it now. My experience with the lens, its really very sharp compared to my other lenses I was really satisfied with it but I have to let go because carrying it around (DSLR) camera and lens especially on vacation wasnt fun anymore, I found it to heavy. Reason i bought the 17-50 instead of the 17-70 is because it had great reviews compared to the 17-70 and lastly is when I searched for budget zoom lenses for Nikon, I found this website dxomark.com which is a very trusted website for rating lenses and even Tony Northrup relies on dxo. Notice the chart on the link, sharpness of the 17-50 is 14 while the 17-70 got only 9. https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best...-for-the-D3300. This was the main reason why i bought the 17-50 instead of the 17-70 and I hope you will buy mine 12k only still like new. https://www.istorya.net/forums/photo...-18-200-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by megatedxzx View Post
    Jgaropel ill share my experience and why I bought a Sigma 17-50 instead of the 17-70 which was also my first choice before and why im selling it now. My experience with the lens, its really very sharp compared to my other lenses I was really satisfied with it but I have to let go because carrying it around (DSLR) camera and lens especially on vacation wasnt fun anymore, I found it to heavy. Reason i bought the 17-50 instead of the 17-70 is because it had great reviews compared to the 17-70 and lastly is when I searched for budget zoom lenses for Nikon, I found this website dxomark.com which is a very trusted website for rating lenses and even Tony Northrup relies on dxo. Notice the chart on the link, sharpness of the 17-50 is 14 while the 17-70 got only 9. https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best...-for-the-D3300. This was the main reason why i bought the 17-50 instead of the 17-70 and I hope you will buy mine 12k only still like new. https://www.istorya.net/forums/photo...-18-200-a.html
    @megatedxzz

Thank you for your input bro. I'll take this as consideration but for now budget isn't available hehehe. Probably by 1st week of December. You are the second one to reached such offer to with 17-50. I'll think about it. I don't really pixel peep that much, I am even very happy with the YN 50mm 1.8G lens which is very cheap and sharp only problem with auto focus on the dark really not that reliable.

I keep on checking reviews as well, it makes things worst for me like you said the 17-50 is really sharp and reliable in low-light and shooting indoors. As to why 17-70 is my 1st choice, was mostly for the 20mm additional reach hehehe just some personal preferrence and also lighter. I carried my kit, prime and my flash in my bag and it is heavy lol.

It's really hard to get lower price with 17-70. My head is really messed up since the offer of the other is really cheap.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast