Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Is it true nga good ka in math, good pud ka sa programming?

This discussion is about "Is it true nga good ka in math, good pud ka sa programming?" in the "Programming" forums.
my point is kung brayt ka ug math, dako ug advantage nimo ang programming kay anad ka ug problem solving, pero naa sad uban dili ...

my point is kung brayt ka ug math, dako ug advantage nimo ang programming kay anad ka ug problem solving, pero naa sad uban dili maau ug math, kamao sad mo program, but sa akong na observe mga 90% siguro sa maau ug programming, maau jud ug math because you are a good problem solver (sa math pa lang daan)...so therefore i conclude nga skills in math (problem solving) kay magamit jud sa programming (problem solving), pero i think kanang maau ug programming nga dili maau ug math, i believe nga maau pud na sila ug math, tapolan lang siguro mo solve ug math problems or dili lang jud nila type ang math...hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by rics zalved View Post
    my point is kung brayt ka ug math, dako ug advantage nimo ang programming kay anad ka ug problem solving, pero naa sad uban dili maau ug math, kamao sad mo program, but sa akong na observe mga 90% siguro sa maau ug programming, maau jud ug math because you are a good problem solver (sa math pa lang daan)...so therefore i conclude nga skills in math (problem solving) kay magamit jud sa programming (problem solving), pero i think kanang maau ug programming nga dili maau ug math, i believe nga maau pud na sila ug math, tapolan lang siguro mo solve ug math problems or dili lang jud nila type ang math...hehehehe
    yeah, agree ko ani..
    kung mu-kugi lng na sila ug disciplina sa ilang math, maayo pud na sila musolve sa math..

ang kapait gud, ma-condition naman ang huna2x sa bata pagelementary pa lng daan na lisod daw ang math.. di pud ta kablame ani, kay naa man pud uban teachers dha na wa pa gani makasugod ug teach, mu-ingon na sila daan na lisod ang math..

Quote Originally Posted by softtouch View Post
    Question to the users here who posted that you need to be good in math:
    - How many years are you a programmer already?
    - How many applications did you write already?
    ikaw, pila naman ka years nagprogram? how many algorithms have you implemented?

ScrapeBox Development softtouch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ikaw, pila naman ka years nagprogram? how many algorithms have you implemented?
    You might have misunderstood my post. But anyway, I do this for a living since 27 years.

Quote Originally Posted by softtouch View Post
    You might have misunderstood my post. But anyway, I do this for a living since 27 years.
    basig bro.. perhaps u misunderstood also my post..

i don't have 27 years of experience, but i do have more than 10 years of it already.. plus, i dont despise mathematics..

so i'm not saying you have to be good at math to know programming.. but if you're good in programming, you'd be surprised to find out that either you're already good in math, or you can be very good at it too..

mao na ako nadiskobrehan bro..

Elite Member
    Blog Entries
    As what I post previously, It really depends upon the target.

But the question here is:

Is it true nga good ka in math, good pud ka sa programming?

Literally understood… NO.

- Everybody can learn math without the presence of programming.
    - Everybody can learn programming without the use of medium-to-advance Math, and with just a middle-range LOGIC.

But then again, it depends upon the TARGET, the line of business you are INTO… I’m currently working in a shipbuilding, oil and gas company, and currently in Engineering Team, where MATH is our weapon. If you are familiar with Finite Element Analysis, 3D Surface Fairing, Dynamic and Stability Analysis, and lots lots lots of those, it involves not only MATH but EXPERIENCE, base on the CLASS SOCIETY STANDARDS like ISO, ABS, DNV etc… if you do it in a MANUAL way, you won’t finished a single project for 5 years.
    Math is elegant, it’s just that our school or in our country is poorly deliver to students. They are times that my brain is twisting, especially when these naval architects talk to me to develop such tool for the project. They can code, but I do much better, but when it comes to math they are hell lot better…
    I remember we purchase Spatial to be adopted in our project, CLICK HERE my goodness, for the first 2 weeks, it was all about matrices, theories, formulas, pitfalls, computations, I bring my notes anywhere and anytime just to understand it carefully, for I won’t allowing myself to seat down and code without knowing how it works. A lot of times I solve thru pen and paper.

Programs are just a tool to automate task, their decision depends upon how they were designed and programmed. If were MATH wasn’t that useful, my company won’t invest and spend some cash for our review.

ScrapeBox Development softtouch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well said and to the point.

In my point, it doesn't really mean that if you are good in math you are good in programming as well.

Lets put it this way.

What is in math that is similar to programming?
    IMO, they are both about logic. They are both about analysis. They are both about solving problems with your own solution. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think algebra and calculus are somewhat about making your own formula for certain set of problems, which is the same for programming.
    Besides, programming is actually a set of calculations. Even computer itself, contains sets of numbers and calculations.

Maybe this is what the phrase "if you are good in math, you are good in programming" means.
    So it might be also right to say that if you have a good logic or analytical mind, you CAN do well in programming.

Opinion lang
    Last edited by Maikeru; 12-02-2009 at 09:34 AM.

pseodocode
    Programming embeds logic , math embeds Critical Analytic skills so therefore programming and math is equal. Math was the base concept of programming
    int math = 1 , prog* =1;
    c language
    if (programming == logic )
    prog* =+ 1;
    math +- 1;
    or else
    math =+ 1;
    prog* -= 1;
    }
    return math == prog*;

Elite Member
    Blog Entries
    considered this scenerio, this is a real job done in my past project.
    DPS System in vessels are required nowadays, chech here for introduction visit here --> Dynamic positioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

we are to mobilize the vessel, so that in the onshore control panel, will see a real time situation of the vessel, only two things involve here. MATH and PROGRAMMING.

MATH involves are, Tonnage calculation of the vessel, Wind Current, Waves, Temperature, Humidity, the reading of the sensors, and more...

PROGRAMMING involves rendering accurately and timely manner, rotation and movement are so difficult, lots of formula to consider, lots of equation to pull of, but MATH still involves. In fact it is more crucial, as you have to detect and verify if these data are reliable, and your presentation is closely accurate... you are simplifying the complexity of MATH here, thru images, 3D animations, graphs, charts, tables down to reporting.

Did I just say just TWO? lets add...

LOGIC and ANALYSIS, this thing came from our senior naval architect and naval engineers onboard. They are not programmers but they are there to provide LOGIC and ANALYSIS for us.

This is what it means to have MATH in programming... the LOGIC in programming is different on the LOGIC of the real project. The LOGIC were most programmers think of in our office is how to handle Multiple Threads, and the ANALYSIS involves is how to translate the GPS data. Where are they exactly on the location, how the vessel will be positioned when you are recieving only the series of numbers and alphanumeric characters, you pull that off, equate, compare from previous data, seconds away, render in on the screen, with additional interface where users can rotate, walkthru, and make some predictions by adding wind current, loads, temperature (checking hull integrity such as stregnth) and more...

MATH and Programming meets somewhere on the corner but in complex situations, there must have somebody to focus on it with respect to its discipline. LOGIC and ANALYSIS is gain and improve thru Experience.

One can tell He don't need MATH to do programming, if his experience doesn't push him to study the material.

one can tell either, that MATH is a must, if his experience push him to do so.

ako i rephrase akong understanding

All Good in Math are Good in Programming
    But not All Good in Programming are Good in Math......

11.    Advertisement

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast