Page 1831 of 1835 FirstFirst ... 18211828182918301831183218331834 ... LastLast
Results 18,301 to 18,310 of 18341
Like Tree1195Likes

All About Current Admin of Duterte

This discussion is about "All About Current Admin of Duterte" in the "Politics & Current Events" forums.
Originally Posted by firestarter One reason I don't like to be quoted per paragraph is that they are subject to misinterpretations, it is better to ...

Quote Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
    One reason I don't like to be quoted per paragraph is that they are subject to misinterpretations, it is better to quote the whole post than quoting only a paragraph of the post.
    When one's post has so many points in it, it is necessary to tackle them one by one. So, NO, there's no hard and fast rule that says quoting the whole post is better than the individual points. The right approach is: it depends.

There was no mention of tax evasion, what I meant was tax avoidance, there is a legal difference of both.
    Tax Evasion, tax avoidance...as long as it is illegal, the BIR should be on top of it. Are you a tax expert who can say that ABS CBN committed a crime vis-a-vis their tax obligations? What's your basis for saying this? What's your evidence, and if you have it, you can settle the matter in Congress right now and that would be game over for ABS CBN instantly.

Cayetano actually didn't only initiate the session, it was "his bill" for a private company that he tackled. This is a self-serving act for a Speaker of the House.
    Whatever you call it, "bill" or something else, it was something that called the House into session. Like I said, Cayetano only started it. He may lean one way or the other, but he can't force the outcome...nor can people like Pacquiao force the outcome. For all intents and purposes, Cayetano and Pacquiao are on the same side of the fence on this issue? Will you attack Pacquiao for this?

I have had heard that so-called chilling effect, however that does not stop Rappler and Inquirer from spreading news highly critical of the administration. ABSCBN keeps uploading bad news on internet on their. Should there be a chilling effect there, it is minimal.
    What do you mean by "news highly critical of the administration"? News, by nature, is objective. Did they omit the words "allegedly" when referring to something incriminating? Or do you mean Editorial columns and opinion pieces? Isn't it why it's called "opinion"? This is where people are free to state their stance and offer their personal judgments.

I'm curious about ABS CBN's uploading of "bad news". Well, aren't TV news mostly reporting "bad news", like there's a riot going on or there's a pandemic or there's an explosion somewhere that killed people? What do you mean by "bad news"? If nothing is going on, there's no news to report.

Minimal chilling effect...not so sure about that. Imagine some government officials being so threatened by messages posted by a Filipina caregiver in Taiwan that they should ask for her deportation to face cyber libel charges. She reportedly wrote that many will die not from the virus, but from hunger and poverty. Saying those words is supposed to be enough to get her deported and jailed in our country? Is this what we've come down to as a society?

I don't know about you. If everything should be praise and glory to your political idols, do you know where that's headed? North Korea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hitch22 View Post
    When one's post has so many points in it, it is necessary to tackle them one by one. So, NO, there's no hard and fast rule that says quoting the whole post is better than the individual points. The right approach is: it depends.

I'd had prior experience here where my sentences where cut and pasted before to sound like I was saying differently, you knew this was a public post and some other members can read this post. Some may even misunderstand my point. Even if mo ingon kang kita ra ang nag istorya. Mao na akong rason nga kung mo quote ko i quote nako ang tibuok sentences sa member diri. I believe it is the right thing to do, to give the other member the fair treatment, that is fair exchange of ideas, even if I don't like what he posted.

Example lang daan, imo kung gi quote about tax, kahuman nangayo ka ug evidence for Tax Evasion, sa tanan nakong sentence wala ko mo ingon nag evade sila sa tax. Tax Lawyers will say and other Accountants nga akong nailhan will say ABSCBN is Tax Avoiding. Pero kung atong basahon ang imong quote nako mura ug nag ingon kung nag evade sila. That's one reason I will quote people in their entirety para mabasa nato tanan gikan diha sa iyang gipangsulti.

Prone kaayo nang quote2x sa paragraph to abuse, ang mga big tabloids before and even after the election are using it. Even ang Philippine Daily Inquirer I've noticed mogamit ana, but they are clever enough nga didto ra sa online nila buhaton, para dali ma erase.
    Kay inig basa nako sa ilang paper issues, lahi kaayo ang ilang mga ipang print didto.

Anyway you won't get the point kung dili ka magbantay. Pero bantayi nang ilang website, unya i compare nimo ang ilang newspapers. Matingala ka lahi ra kaayo ang quality sa content as compared sa ilang website.

Tax Evasion, tax avoidance...as long as it is illegal, the BIR should be on top of it. Are you a tax expert who can say that ABS CBN committed a crime vis-a-vis their tax obligations? What's your basis for saying this? What's your evidence, and if you have it, you can settle the matter in Congress right now and that would be game over for ABS CBN instantly.
    As I've said Tax Avoidance is Legal, what is not legal is Tax Evasion. The two are different things. One can free you up from paying higher taxes, the other one can land you in jail.

As you said "BIR should be on top of it", they actually are, ABSCBN has tax liabilities which they settled. I don't need to settle it myself in Congress. That would be far reaching. As an example lang sa ilang tax payments. This was presented by Congressman Marcoleta.

Whatever you call it, "bill" or something else, it was something that called the House into session. Like I said, Cayetano only started it. He may lean one way or the other, but he can't force the outcome...nor can people like Pacquiao force the outcome. For all intents and purposes, Cayetano and Pacquiao are on the same side of the fence on this issue? Will you attack Pacquiao for this?
    It's called a Bill because it is not yet a Law. Ang Legislative Franchise Bill, is initiated from the Lower House.
    He actually did try to force the the bill and made it to the second reading on the same day. Which steams to my mind of unconstitutionality.

I have higher hopes for House Speaker Cayetano, but kaning iyang gibuhat is giving me second thoughts, and suffice it to say I won't be voting for him in the next election.

Pacquiao is a Senator, who is shielded from this controversy. Kay trabaho manas mga Congressman ang pag initiate ana.

What do you mean by "news highly critical of the administration"? News, by nature, is objective. Did they omit the words "allegedly" when referring to something incriminating? Or do you mean Editorial columns and opinion pieces? Isn't it why it's called "opinion"? This is where people are free to state their stance and offer their personal judgments.

I don't know about you but I think a lot more people will tell you otherwise.

I'm curious about ABS CBN's uploading of "bad news". Well, aren't TV news mostly reporting "bad news", like there's a riot going on or there's a pandemic or there's an explosion somewhere that killed people? What do you mean by "bad news"? If nothing is going on, there's no news to report.
    News doesn't always have to be bad news. Do you agree?

Minimal chilling effect...not so sure about that. Imagine some government officials being so threatened by messages posted by a Filipina caregiver in Taiwan that they should ask for her deportation to face cyber libel charges. She reportedly wrote that many will die not from the virus, but from hunger and poverty. Saying those words is supposed to be enough to get her deported and jailed in our country? Is this what we've come down to as a society?
    Did you know the whole back story of that Filipina? Maybe you oath to dig deeper about all the other reasons why.
    I would also like to say, that our Freedom of Speech is not absolute.

I don't know about you. If everything should be praise and glory to your political idols, do you know where that's headed? North Korea.
    North Korea? Now that is a topic I would like to discuss even more.

Please cite a comparison between the Philippines and North Korea, and why we are headed there. -- This is really an interesting topic I would like to know more about.
    Last edited by firestarter; 06-04-2020 at 12:29 PM.

daghana terorista nahadlok sa new anti terror law oi....

As you said "BIR should be on top of it", they actually are, ABSCBN has tax liabilities which they settled. I don't need to settle it myself in Congress. That would be far reaching. As an example lang sa ilang tax payments. This was presented by Congressman Marcoleta.

Mon Abrea, the tax expert, said early this year that you don't do tax analysis by grabbing a number and getting a calculator. Marcoleta's not the tax expert and he should say so himself. Presenting a screenshot circulating around the internet to prove tax avoidance is not the way to do it. How come the head of the BIR Large Taxpayers Service came out last February and said that ABS-CBN's been filing and paying taxes for the past number of years (over ₱14 billion from 2016-19) and that it has currently no liabilities with the agency? I found out that ABS CBN is audited by SGV & Co (Philippines' largest auditor). The SEC also said that there's no violation or ongoing compaint against the said corporation. The fact that ABS CBN had to settle ₱152.44 million for assessed deficiencies in 2019 shows that the BIR has been closely monitoring them.

Mon Abrea, on the allegation of ABS CBN's use of subsidiary to avoid taxes:
    It's easy to say that you have a subsidiary to avoid taxes. If that is the case then why is ABS-CBN a top taxpayer, if their mere intention is to avoid taxes. It's contradictory, it doesn't make sense. Who among the parent companies, do not have a foreign subsidiary or companies registered abroad, not necessarily to avoid taxes, but because it is more beneficial in terms of resources, in terms of labor, or other infrastructure not available in the Philippines?
    I have to confess that I really do not know if ABS CBN's been illegally evading/avoiding taxes. I'm not a tax expert. That's why I'll suspend judgment until the BIR rules on this matter.

Did you know the whole back story of that Filipina? Maybe you oath to dig deeper about all the other reasons why.
    I would also like to say, that our Freedom of Speech is not absolute.
    Freedom of Speech is not absolute. But who gets to decide what's allowed and what's not? Do you want your enemies to decide that? How would your enemies feel if you have the power to decide that? As you can see, you're not sure whether you or your enemy is gonna be in power. So who gets to decide, in my opinion: Ideally, we should let the free market of ideas decide that: Let the good ideas (backed by evidence, sound reasoning & science) win...not the mob.

North Korea? Now that is a topic I would like to discuss even more.

Please cite a comparison between the Philippines and North Korea, and why we are headed there. -- This is really an interesting topic I would like to know more about.
    We're not there yet? But we could be on the way, IF we're not careful and get too carried away with mass fanaticism.

Elite Member
    i'm still not taking sides up to now regardless ug unsa pay ipangyawit sa both parties. some are just too toxic and i don't want to deal with it. pero wa ko kasabot ni duterte nganong lenient cya towards sa issue nilang sinas, duque, pimintel etc. if ako ang naas lugar nya, ug gusto ko dli madaot akong imahe, paphaon nako ang mka.guba sa akong dungog. are his advisors relaying a different narrative sa iyaha which explains his response towards these issues?

as for online activism, i don't really care much about it ky kutob ra pagarpar btaw. way proactive solution. as if pud motuhop na sa ilang mga gitirahan nga baga mag nawng ang mga politiko nato dri. hahaha. ug mabugnaw na ang isyu, move on nang mga taw. paet. manrabaho nlng tag taman kaysa mag apil2 sa drama sa socmed ky dli gyd cya mkabayad sa bills btaw. hahahha
    larisse likes this.

congrats to maria ressa, 1st in cyber libel...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slakker View Post
    maau pod na exampolan ba.. gara man na cya ug iyang mga alipores. Hilak rba na dayun na dead na daw ang press freedom sa pinas.

Quote Originally Posted by slakker View Post
    naunay cla sa tari sa ilang gilabanan sauna.. Aquino's Cybercrime Law.. Mirisi!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hitch22 View Post
    Mon Abrea, the tax expert, said early this year that you don't do tax analysis by grabbing a number and getting a calculator. Marcoleta's not the tax expert and he should say so himself. Presenting a screenshot circulating around the internet to prove tax avoidance is not the way to do it. How come the head of the BIR Large Taxpayers Service came out last February and said that ABS-CBN's been filing and paying taxes for the past number of years (over ₱14 billion from 2016-19) and that it has currently no liabilities with the agency? I found out that ABS CBN is audited by SGV & Co (Philippines' largest auditor). The SEC also said that there's no violation or ongoing compaint against the said corporation. The fact that ABS CBN had to settle ₱152.44 million for assessed deficiencies in 2019 shows that the BIR has been closely monitoring them.

Mon Abrea, on the allegation of ABS CBN's use of subsidiary to avoid taxes:

I have to confess that I really do not know if ABS CBN's been illegally evading/avoiding taxes. I'm not a tax expert. That's why I'll suspend judgment until the BIR rules on this matter.
    Lahi lage ang Tax Evasion and Tax Avoidance please.. Tanawa lang unsay difference.. kay at least maka balo lang ka ba.

And I think it's moot already.. Wala man gi grant ilang franchise.

Freedom of Speech is not absolute. But who gets to decide what's allowed and what's not? Do you want your enemies to decide that? How would your enemies feel if you have the power to decide that? As you can see, you're not sure whether you or your enemy is gonna be in power. So who gets to decide, in my opinion: Ideally, we should let the free market of ideas decide that: Let the good ideas (backed by evidence, sound reasoning & science) win...not the mob.
    We have the courts to decide actually, ultimately the Supreme Court.

We're not there yet? But we could be on the way, IF we're not careful and get too carried away with mass fanaticism.
    Really, you think naa nata sa state of communism and dictatorship like sa North Korea karon?

Seriously?

Mass fanaticism? Kadumdum man lang pud tang PNOY ana.

Lahi lage ang Tax Evasion and Tax Avoidance please.. Tanawa lang unsay difference.. kay at least maka balo lang ka ba.

And I think it's moot already.. Wala man gi grant ilang franchise.
    If the point was to avoid or evade taxes, then why bother to be classified under BIR's Large Taxpayers?

Anyway, it's moot already. The die is cast. The fat lady has sung. The curtain has come down. Just like what Duterte said to the military about the four soldiers killed in Jolo, it goes something like "if you want revenge, I won't stop you. But ask yourselves: Is the country better off or worse off from your actions?" I think the same can be asked here, don't you think?

Personally, I don't like ABS CBN. I think they've been guilty of bias for a long time. To quote from the book "Friends of Voltaire": "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," But if the demise of ABS CBN is due to something else and not due to their disagreeable speech, then life must go on.

We have the courts to decide actually, ultimately the Supreme Court.
    The Courts and Supreme Court decide which speech is allowed. So, will you acknowledge that there is no free speech (in the truest sense of the word) in the Philippines? I think we can both agree on this point.

Really, you think naa nata sa state of communism and dictatorship like sa North Korea karon?

Seriously?
    I believe I said "But we could be on the way IF we're not careful."

Time will tell if we're headed in the right direction, i.e. if we know where we're supposed to go in the first place: Is it toward more freedom or less freedom? Or is freedom too dangerous? Is the idea of accepting responsibility for our choices in life too hard?

Yeah, you're right. We're not that great as a people. We might as well be ruled by a messianic dictator who can promise to take care of us and lead us to the promised land.

11.    Advertisement