Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

help: how to spot a wi-fi user?

This discussion is about "help: how to spot a wi-fi user?" in the "Networking & Internet" forums.
my router at home is unsecured so far, but i want me and my friends to play wireless lan on our laptops, how can i ...

Default help: how to spot a wi-fi user?

my router at home is unsecured so far, but i want me and my friends to play wireless lan on our laptops, how can i see the people accessing my router? or even AP? is there 3rd party software? i dont know how wi-fi really works when it comes to these things thanks

C.I.A.

Default Re: help: how to spot a wi-fi user?

in the management of your router or AP, you can see there the wireless clients that are associated.

Elite Member

use MAC filtering, the software is supplied by the Product thru CD... or just follow the instruction manual

C.I.A.

simple way to secure is not to transmit the SSID, kana i manual gyud ug type sa client and gamit ug SSID na lisod like AkOngNetwork1823123 lol

Elite Member

MAC filtering ug WEP key

Just want to clarify what do really want,? did you mean you want just to see who accesses your network through the access point or you want to block intruders from accessing your network thru that AP.

first, you can only see the ip addresses or the mac addresses of any clients trying to access your network thru that AP you set up that has security disabled. You can view them thru the association logs offered by the AP although not all AP out there offers this features

second, if you want that only legitimate users can associate to your AP, then implement RADIUS... your AP should support at least WEP and most WPA and WPA2 both personal and enterprise... configure your AP to point to a RADIUS server where user authentications are to be filtered..

Note: Cisco wireless APs offer a built-in RADIUS server

Let me know if you still have questions.

-=tabs=-

i justs want to see who accesses the network, not really block it. so where is the log? and how do i know if my AP offers such feature? also how do i implement radius? :mrgreen: wow very informative stuff. so i dont need 3rd party software also is it illegal for someone like my neighbor to access my wifi? i found a news bit somewhere on the net. in america its illegal if you get caught

C.I.A.

just navigate the management of your wireless device.

Quote Originally Posted by lokster
    i justs want to see who accesses the network, not really block it. so where is the log? and how do i know if my AP offers such feature? also how do i implement radius? :mrgreen: wow very informative stuff. so i dont need 3rd party software also is it illegal for someone like my neighbor to access my wifi? i found a news bit somewhere on the net. in america its illegal if you get caught
    yes you dont want a third party software... and AP's capability depends on the brand of the device.. please see the link and look for your brand. it will tell you exactly the security and other wifi features it supports.

if you wond block and want only to see who is associated to your AP, well you should leave your AP open and security disabled.. and again, you can only see the MAC and IP address of the ones who are accessing your AP not a username so i'd rather use the word "it" instead of "who".. if you intend to configure RADIUS, you have no choice but let pre register the users who will be accessing your AP (username, fullname, etc..) this is like an active directory in a managed windows infrastructure networks.. so if you like this, you should tell first all your nearby neighbors to register to your RADIUS server so that each of them will have username and password and use them when they try to associate your AP, and hence you can see and determine who, not "it", is accessing your AP...

ahhhh ic ic, very informative, i found it na, yeah i can only see the ip address, i cant tell who it is unless i go over there and ask for my neighbors ip add, hehehehe. thank you for the info, thats all i wanted to know more or less. in my neighborhood lots of wifi signals but i think mine is the only one secured right about now. hehehe. thanks again question, is it illegal if i connect to their wifi because well, their signal is stonger in some parts of the house

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast