View RSS Feed

gracie7

CODE PINK: An Infant Abduction

Rate this Entry
My newsfeed was full of the shares/contents regarding the said infant abduction in one of Cebu's hospitals.

BABY THIEF | Cebu Daily News

So I woke up this morning, read that the baby was found.

Stolen baby found; suspect claims she gave birth to him | Cebu Daily News

Upon seeing this video, I was disheartened how the media interrogated the said kidnapper.

https://www.facebook.com/superbalita...2893981809362/

Seriously? Is this how journalists question a suspect now? Like how will she open up when the way they deliver their question is so judgmental.

What happened now is that journalists/reporters are like judge/jury. There's a process called criminal justice system murag wa na nila paagi ning bayhana anah na process, right there and then she was judged. YES there was a video but they could've listened as to the reason behind why she did that.

Presumption of innocence - holding a defendant is innocent until proven guilty. In other words, the prosecution must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, each essential element of the crime charged.
I know, I know there's a CCTV footage that captured she has the baby. But she's entitled to this due process, it's a long process but that's the right way.

That is my own legal point of view. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer/law student, I didn't said that I'm good with it but I know the common stuffs.

Philippine Law
What is the crime of kidnapping and serious illegal detention?

The crime of kidnapping/serious illegal detention is punished under Articles 267 of the Revised Penal Code, as amended. The hostage-taker is properly charged with kidnapping or serious illegal detention. Article 267 reads:

Art. 267. Kidnapping and serious illegal detention. — Any private individual who shall kidnap or detain another, or in any other manner deprive him of his liberty, shall suffer the penalty of RECLUSION PERPETUA to DEATH:

1. If the kidnapping or detention shall have lasted more than three days.

2. If it shall have been committed simulating public authority.

3. If any serious physical injuries shall have been inflicted upon the
person kidnapped or detained, or if threats to kill him shall have been made.

4. IF THE PERSON KIDNAPED OR DETAINED SHALL BE A MINOR, except when the accused is any of the parents, female, or a public officer.

The penalty shall be DEATH where the kidnapping or detention was committed for the purpose of extorting ransom from the victim or any other person, even if none of the circumstances above-mentioned were present in the commission of the offense.
Let's move unto the medical view:

For me, it would be better that the one who first interviewed the said kidnapper was a Psychologist. So he/she can evaluate the psychological/mental well-being of this woman. Not that she was like thrown into a pool of reporters and she was open to criticism and judgments.

I feel pity for this woman but I didn't said that what she did was right.

Updated 01-06-2016 at 04:00 AM by gracie7

Categories
Health , Gracie's thoughts , General Knowledge

Comments

I fully agree with you. But the modern attitude of street journalism more often than not is very judgmental right there at the interview phase. They care little that theirs has a mass media appeal, and could affect a wide portion of the society listening and watching them.
    For me, it would be better that the one who first interviewed the said kidnapper was a Psychologist.
    it will most likely not happen when it's a sensational issue...dretso gyud dayon na...bisan gani usahay nga padung pas presohan/interrogation...

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:
about us
We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
follow us
#top