View RSS Feed

kat5252

My Whale Shark Experience

Rate this Entry
Whale Sharks in Oslob has been most people's destination since last year which I envied so much. I don't know why I wasn't able to arrange a trip to go there with friends when Oslob is just 3 hours away from the City!

Some reasons that held me back from making that trip were negative feedback I found from different blogs and websites like:
- Going there requires a lot of fees here and there
- So crowded; there's a chance you won't be accommodated
- The Whale Sharks are pitiful and has a lot of cuts due to boat bumping and etc...

But 2 weeks ago I really felt like I need to experience this one before I lost the opportunity so I invited my cousins and friends. Since I don't know a thing about the processes for the whale shark experience, I tried to search for available packages online and I found out about this one -- Watch/Snorkel w/ whale sharks, Sumilon Island Tour, and Trek to Tumalog Falls.

Unfortunately some of my companions found the package pricey so we opt for just snorkeling and a visit to the Falls. I'm so glad I found an Istoryan coordinator who assisted us with everything. We just paid and they processed everything for us (registration, boat, guide, etc..).

Here are my observations:
1)The place is already very organize and the waters are so clean and clear; there's a briefing area for those who want to watch/snorkel where they'll tell the "what is and what isn't allowed"
2) You wait for your turn/boat (you won't be waiting that long since there are a lot of boats available)
3) I didn't see cuts or the Whale Shark bumping a boat (they just follow the small boat feeding them) and guests are to maintain 14m distance
4) There are Whale Shark guards! lol - They swim near a guests's boats which I didn't notice at first and will stir you away from the Whale Shark should you unconsciously float near them (I've experienced this 1st hand )

So here are some of the pictures from our Whale Shark encounter:

My cousin with a medium size "butanding" in the background

A baby "butanding" passed below our boat; we thought it was just a large rock at first but it was slowly moving

Comments

It's good to know that they are doing well!
    Quote Originally Posted by moy1moy1
    It's good to know that they are doing well!
    True. I actually expected the worst based on reviews I've read. Good thing though the place is clean and well-organized now; I'm even looking forward to going back there with another set of friends.

For those who haven't been there, what are you still waiting for?
    Been there like 4 times already, and I can actually see the changes one visit at a time! The rates and all are a bit pricey, but it is actually a way to deter unnecessary influx of visitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by moy1moy1
    Been there like 4 times already, and I can actually see the changes one visit at a time! The rates and all are a bit pricey, but it is actually a way to deter unnecessary influx of visitors.
    Good for you, wish I have the budget to keep on going back. For me P500 for a 45-minute snorkeling w/ the Whale Sharks is already worth it.
    Very nice!
    Adto jud mi this June bah!
    kinsa imo istoryan coordinator?? ehehe
    kay magpacoordinate sad ta ko if pde

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:
about us
We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
follow us
#top