• US-based Cebuana psychotherapist makes debut in literary scene

There’s always something amazing that will happen when we listen to the dictates of our passion.

For psychotherapist Pearl Purino Campbell, it all started with fragments of stories which she had gathered from all the interviews with patients. Over time, she had made sense out of this collection of persons, names, narratives, and experiences and threaded them together to form a grander story.

Like a stash of clothing reserved for an occasion or season, Pearl carefully put this story at the back of her mind, hoping she would one day afford the time to record and tell people about it.

But Pearl only grew more restless as days went by and the story she weaved was still running in her head waiting to be put down on paper. Until one day, during one weekend spent in Germany, the 53-year-old emerging author finally mustered the strength and the inspiration to begin writing what is now the newest romantic fiction book to hit the US and, very soon, Philippine bookshelves, To Love Again.

“It’s good when you just go with your passion… You can tap into that energy when you want to do something creative,” Pearl said of following one’s inner compass and attaining long-standing aspirations.
      A widow and a mother of two sons, Pearl was born and raised in Cebu. She studied at Saint Theresa’s College and the University of San Carlos before moving to the USA to pursue higher studies in psychology.
      Pearl has been making significant contributions in the field of clinical psychology in the states of North Carolina and Illinois for nearly two decades now. But despite all these achievements, Pearl’s dream of becoming a storyteller never waned.

To her, creative writing is a hideaway that grants her the freedom to create an idyllic world full of love and peace. A far cry from her day-to-day reality as a psychotherapist.

“I want to stay away from it… I just want to create a world where I can focus on strength and love,” Pearl said.

Pearl officially makes her foray into the literary arena with her debut work To Love Again.

The book tells the story of a young lady named Gia who embarked on a journey to discover for herself her deceased grandmother’s world. Gia charts her own destiny in love, leaving the comforts of her own home to retrace her grandmother’s stories. Gia takes a leap in love with a man named Armando and discovers her courage and inner strength.
      “I want the Filipino people to read the book. (This is for) anybody with a penchant for romance” said Pearl, when asked about her expectations for the book.

The book also highlights the Filipino culture and tradition, something Pearl has long been wanting to do as a writer who lives in a foreign land.

One may grab an ebook copy of To Love Again through Amazon and Kindle. A limited number of copies are also available at Books and Brews Café.

“I would love for people to meet the characters and fall in love with them. It’s a simple narrative but the story will capture you,” Pearl said, adding that she is considering making a trilogy of the story.

(Dominic Yasay)
      You may like...

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top