Laptop Awareness Info- overheated laptop can cause fire accident

This discussion is about "Laptop Awareness Info- overheated laptop can cause fire accident" in the "Computer Hardware" forums.
I just got a forwarded email today and I guess it's worth posting here. This is possible possible diay? "A family in Mequon lost their ...

Default Laptop Awareness Info- overheated laptop can cause fire accident

I just got a forwarded email today and I guess it's worth posting here. This is possible possible diay?

"A family in Mequon lost their 25 year old son Arun Gopal

in a freak fire accident at home June 4th. This is exactly what happened.

Arun had graduated with MBA from University of Wisconsin-Madison just two weeks earlier and had came home from the campus for a day.

He had lunch with his dad at home and decided to go back to to clean up his room at the campus. However, his dad told him to wait and see his mother before returning to the campus as she was due back from work in a couple of hours. He decided to take a snooze while waiting for his mom while his dad went out.

Neighbors called 911 when they saw black smoke coming out of the house. The 25 year old Arun died in the three year old house. It took several days of investigation to find out the cause of the fire. It was determined that the fire was caused by laptop in the bed.

When the laptop is on the bed, the area below it is blocked and the cooling fan does not get air to cool it and that is what caused the fire.

Arun did not even wake up to make any effort to get out of bed as he died of massive carbon monoxide inhalation. The purpose of this "forward" is to make aware that most of us use our laptop in bed and often go to sleep with it next to us. Please make it a practice not to do that.

The risk is very real. Make it a rule not to use the laptop in bed.

and use a cooling fan.."

---I'm not sure if this is suited here, Mods kindly relocate when needed. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    i guess its possible but most of the hardware manufacturer's nowadays kung maghimo man gni laptop kung mag overheat gni mapalong na diretso

have you noticed the rubber feet at the bottom of the laptop
    that is to provide at least a 2mm-3mm gap when laptop is placed on a flat surface
    usually the design of the airflow of the laptop is to suck air at the bottom and blow the hot air out at the sides or back of the laptop
    the bed is not a flat surface so wala nay gap sa ubos para mag suck in air ang fan... mao na ang tendency na mag overheat

it's the same as "butang ba sa luyo curtain ang running electric fan"
    diba i-suck in ang curtain sa electric fan sa luyo but no air is coming out sa front

its possible na maka-cause ug sunog,but most laptops have a fail safe feature once max temp threshold has been reached, the laptop shuts down, but then again, accidents do happen...

I sometimes sleep raba with my laptop on my bed. Lisod man gud ibutang ang coolng fan in bed pud.

Banned User
    Blog Entries
    it could be that he tweaked his setting too much or his laptop model was almost obsolete.. like what the others have mentioned.. notebooks nowadays have a fail safe settings.. even for windows itself if you check the advance settings with yer power plan.. now, it could be that his laptop was plugged in.. and something went wrong with the outlet where it was connected.. common mistakes is when you change the cable for the adapter to make it longer and usually its thinner.. dali mo init..

but its always nice to be extra careful.. nice post... up ta ani nga fyi...

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos View Post
    it could be that he tweaked his setting too much or his laptop model was almost obsolete.. like what the others have mentioned.. notebooks nowadays have a fail safe settings.. even for windows itself if you check the advance settings with yer power plan.. now, it could be that his laptop was plugged in.. and something went wrong with the outlet where it was connected.. common mistakes is when you change the cable for the adapter to make it longer and usually its thinner.. dali mo init..

but its always nice to be extra careful.. nice post... up ta ani nga fyi...
    Lageh kuyaw man diay kaayo if magtanga2x ta ug gamit sa laptop. Abi nko pwde ra gyud siya overnytan Which I usually do bya, Up lang pud ko ani kay dghan raba mganggamit ug laptop esp. mga students.

It can be left on overnight, as long as youre not using it, most automatically goes to sleep, or even if it wont, wont get that hot.

And as someone said, it got a failsafe where it turns off.

But yes, its best to be safe. Buy a cooling pad, etc.

Banned User
    anything electrical switched ON that generates heat and placed in bed is an accident waiting to happen. even electric blankets which are designed to be used in bed are known to catch fire in the event of a malfunction.

please be safe sis....

possible pd nga mahitabo... wla ta kabalo bacin dali ra diay kaau to malanay iyang gibutangan...

10.    Advertisement