Default New Google Play update pushes new app "Google Settings" to your phone

Hi Guys,

Have you received some new updates latety on your android phone? most notable from Google Play? My cousin's Nexus4 got that update... just when he thought it was just a miniscule-not-to-bother one... he checked back once more his listed apps on his App drawer..and found one mysterious app - "Google Settings"..hmmmm...

I googled this app and found some tidbits pertaining to the said app - PSA: A mysterious Google Settings app may soon appear on your Android device | The Verge

How bout you guys... have you got this 'Google Settings' app already installed on your device?? if you don't have it yet. brace yourself.. your going to get it to the next update of your phone...

Cheers!

Google is known to push updates across its products so as not to bother the users who are lazy enough to secure their systems. Wala koy nakita nga sayop ani, unless the app breaches your privacy.

The Google setting on my cuz N4, is an additional apps that most user's would gladly welcome it with...if there's even a purpose on the app itself... Content provider apps usually is good only if the user uses it... if not.. then that app would be a total crap sitting on the phone's appdrawer, doing nothing but eating memory and ram size of the phone.

I would suggest if Google offers some leverage to the user on UNINSTALLING apps not deem usable for the user itself. Now I know we can do that if we root our phone and stuff (e.g. RomToolbox, Titanium backup and etc), but to a user who does not want to root his/her phone... Google itself should give a leeway to inform the millions of android users out there, what comes with their UPDATES and if possible, give the user the utmost preference to install what the user only wants to have it installed...on his /her phone.

How they can do this? well for a start, before the user is prompted for an update... The user should be presented on the Changelog/s or what this update is going to do and what additional tweaks/apps comes along with it... NEXT, the user should be given a preferential option of just selecting which of those tweaks/apps he/she would want to be included on that update and when clicking FINISH... only then would that update be downloaded and be installed on the phone...

I know this is like shooting on a star kind of thing.. but hopefully G-Engineers would implement something that gives freedom to users on the coming updates on their phones... after all... that is what the Android ecosystem was built upon in the first place... an OPEN SOURCE OS.
    Last edited by jeff_bonz59; 02-27-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar
    It's an update from Google. Why is there even any talk of security when this isn't the first time and you should know you are getting updates from Google. People like to complain when they get updates and when they don't get updates.

If you want freedom, install a custom ROM and don't use Google services.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_bonz59 View Post
    it's not some random app or forcing an app that is not from their own developers, it's their own update for their own app and OS, why do they need to go through all that?

besides i actually find this app useful to access all settings of my google apps (maps, location settings, etc.) under one click instead of having to go through each of the app to set them

it's not even that big, it's practically just a shortcut that you can only see in your app drawer. it's not automatically installed to your homescreens which is where i put all of my frequently used apps and access them instead of having to dig through the app drawer. that's why we have them ya naw

By using their os, you are bound to get the dev's updates.
    No need for che che bureche infos coz 90% are just consumers/users and really dont care about some giberish artificial language.

7.    Advertisement