Hi guys! Here's another item from Cooler Master. Like I said, Cooler Master has sent me some of their gaming peripherals (Trigger, QuickFire Rapid, QuickFire Pro, Sirus, HAF XM, for me to try out). Just want to share my review and findings here on Istorya.net so that more people would be aware of their gaming lineup before you decide to buy one. The review is based on my personal experience. Items are provided by Cooler Master

The CM Storm Sirus 5.1 Gaming Headset is one of Cooler Master's gaming headset that belongs to the CM Storm line gaming gear. There are actually two variations of the Sirus, first is the one I have the Sirus, that features a dial control for volumes, bass and other channels. While the other one is the Sirus S, basically the same but cheaper. The difference is the Sirus S does not have a volume control dial.

Moving on, the "Sirus is built for gaming enthusiast and audiophiles", and sports a true 5.1 surround sound output. It has a total of 8 discrete speaker channel pairs of front, rear, center and sub. Let's check out its main features and specifications below.

CM Storm Sirus 5.1 Features
  • True 5.1 Surround Sound (4 high quality speakers on each side)
  • On-The-Fly Rear, Center, & Front speaker control for maximum sound customization (in USB mode only)
  • Interchangeable ear-cups, micro weave for breathable audio and leatherette for improved noise insulation
  • Dual gold-plated USB Connectors for improved signal quality
  • Extra long durable and flexible microphone arm with LED mute indicator

CM Storm Sirus 5.1 Specifications
  • Model Number: SGH-6000-KK5R1
  • Headphones:
  • Channel: True 5.1 surround sound
  • Driver: F/R/C: 30mm Sub: 40mm
  • Impedance: F/R/C: 32 Ohms Sub: 16 Ohms
  • Transducer principle: Dynamic closed
  • Ear coupling: Circumaural
  • Ear cushions: Detachable micro fiber
  • Sensitivity: >105dB
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz – 20,000Hz
  • Distortion: Less than 1%
  • Microphone:
  • Pick-up pattern: uni-directional
  • Frequency Response: 100Hz – 10,000 Hz
  • Impedance: 2.2k Ohms
  • Sensitivity: -46 dB ±3dB

Below are pictures of the packaging of the Sirus. You can a pretty nice packaging with a view of the headset through it's transparent window. You can also see the features at the back of the box.

I'm not really sure if the Sirus I received has all its accessories included. Basically what you see in the picture below is what I got from the box. The cables are braided and plugs are gold plated (a popular trend in any gaming accessory). Above you will see the big CM Storm logo, as well as on the sides of the speaker. An extra ear pads is provided that has a smooth rubber finish for those who prefers this kind of cushion, instead of the cloth-like cushion.

You can adjust the length of the headband, as well as swivel the speakers to your comfort. You can also fold up the mic if you are not using it, at the same time it is flexible and can be bent to your liking.

Beneath the ear cushion, you can clearly see 5 small speakers, and each of those speakers can be controlled via a dial. The dial or volume control looks pretty cool actually. It's solid, somewhat heavy and has a premium touch. The Sirus has also a cool red lights located on the mic, CM Storm logo on the sides of the speakers and on the dial itself.

Honestly I haven't tried using the mic, so I don't have any comment about its quality. I also do not have a dedicated sound card, so I wasn't able to take advantage of the 5.1 surround channels. But with regards to the sound quality it produced, I can comment on that. I'm not really a headphone-guy, I am more of a earplug-guy. If I were to comment on the sound quality of the Sirus, it is somewhat on the mid level. It has a good bass on it, as well as a balanced mixture of mids and highs.

It's good for gaming, but audiophiles might be disappointed with it. It tried playing some FLAC audio, but I prefer to use an in-ear earphones instead. I guess we can't really compare the Sirus with high end headphones like Beats or Sennheisers or Astro.

What I like about the Sirus:

• Great bass
  • Premium and braided cables
  • Flexible mic with LED indicator
  • Dedicated looking volume dial
  • True 5.1 Surround with discrete speakers
  • Uni-directional mic
  • Sturdy body

What I did not like about the Sirus:
  • Not good for some audio
  • Somewhat heavy
  • I can't wear it for long

The CM Storm Sirus 5.1 Surround Gaming Headset is priced locally at around Php 4,500, while the Sirus S (cheaper one), is priced at around Php 3,400.