Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    C.I.A. Platinum Member carmicael's Avatar

Default Intel Core i7 - new generation - new name

Intel Core i7 gets official Written by Lars-Göran Nilsson Monday, 11 August 2008 07:11

A day ahead of IDF

It appears that the rumours that started late last week were indeed true, Intel has given its consumer Nehalem processors an official name, the Intel Core processor. There will be two different variations for the Bloomfield based parts and we're not sure how Intel came up with the new "identifiers" as they call it, but you're looking at Core i7 and Core i7 Extreme.

It could hardly be any more confusing, but the official press release from Intel states "This is the first of several new identifiers to come as different products launch over the next year" so we're expecting more new letter and number combinations to appear once Lynnfield and Havendale draws closer to completion.

The press release goes on and states that "Intel will include processor model numbers to differentiate each chip" which means that there will be additional numbers that we need to remember to be able to tell the various chips apart, just as with the current line-up.

The logo's will differ as you can see below, the Extreme Edition gets a black logo while the more mainstream parts gets a blue logo. We're not sure about you, but we thought that Intel Core sounds like a slower option to an Intel Core 2 processor and the i7 moniker doesn't really say much, except that the processor isn't a Core 2 Duo.

Intel also stated "Expect Intel to focus even more marketing resources around that name and the Core i7 products starting now" which we think will be needed to make the general public understand that the Core i7 is a faster and better alternative than the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad, since these names are now very deeply rooted with the less tech-savvy users thanks to past marketing efforts by Intel.

We would expect more details to emerge during IDF which kicks off tomorrow, so stay tuned for more updates about the Intel Core i7 architecture.

You can find the press release here

Fudzilla - Intel Core i7 gets official
    this came from FUDZILLA, though.

Sakyan dayon ni sa Microsoft.
    "Windows 7 on i7."

Apil pud ang apple.
    "i7 in iMac."

hehehe...

tagpila kha ni?

Blog Entries
    hinay-hinayan ug tigom para maka upgrade

tag pila pod kaha na sa?

C.I.A. Platinum Member carmicael's Avatar
    The 'Extreme Edition' will debut at 3.2GHz and carry a price of $999 per 1,000. The high-end of the mid-range will be clocked at 2.93GHz and carry a price of $562 per 1,000, while the mid-range offering will come in at $284 per 1,000 and offer a clock speed of 2.66GHz. All launch processors will offer 256Kb of L2 cache along with 8MB of L3 cache, and of course will offer support for triple-channel DDR3.
    expect $300.00 for the 2.66GHz procie. well, for me, it's definitely HOT. hyper-threading, DDR3 IMC, quad core. that's just 8-threads to eat your apps.

These processors are too much for todays apps.
    At least this will lower down the prices of some older quads like the q6600.

Q6600 you are mine. heheheh.

ah wala pa gani kaayo nggamit ug mga core2duo. samot ng ug quadcore. mga dual core paman gani mostly diri sa ato and ang speed ok ok na as long as dako ang memory. aw mayhinoon ni kay plan ko palit new pc, aim nako core 2 quad. mayta mobarato na ni. :P

pero imho, sobra na kaayo na sa mga basic applications lng, pangkwarta naman ila oi. pentium 4 gani kosog naman gani.

Ako sad wla pa ga quad.

Bag o nasad ni nga socket?

murag bag-o napud ni brad.. naa man to topic ana diri..

wa pa gani ko plano mka core 2 dou naa na lain.. tawn paita ani

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast