Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default intel pentium D cheaper than amd x2

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

diba bali? diba mas mahal man unta ang intel compare to amd.....
    more than 50% man ang difference....

sa US kay mas mahal ang AMD compare to Intel proc. my cousin said

a couple of thoughts why...

AnandTech: AMD's dual core Opteron & Athlon 64 X2 - Server/Desktop Performance Preview. A very interesting set of comparisons. The D's are so inexpensive and if only we could invent some software at Ignition that would exploit dual core, now that would be cool

Because Intel is only shipping lower clocked dual core CPUs, Intel's chip prices are much lower - not to mention that Intel's manufacturing abilities far exceed those of AMD. Percentage-wise, the Pentium D 3.2 commands a high premium for that second core, but the prices are overall quite reasonable. The fastest Pentium D is still cheaper than the slowest Athlon 64 X2 4200+, and the slowest Pentium D is ridiculously cheap compared to AMD's dual core offerings.

AMD's answer to Intel's aggressive pricing is two-fold. Eventually, all of AMD's CPUs will be dual core, and thus, prices will be driven back down to single core levels. But for now, AMD feels confident enough that their single core CPUs are fast enough to compete with Intel's low clocked Pentium Ds. We put that exact thinking to the test in Part II of our Intel dual core preview and concluded that it really depends on what type of a user you are. If you tend to multitask a lot or run a lot of multithreaded applications, then a slower Intel dual core is what you need; otherwise, a faster single core AMD is your best bet.

From Tom's hardware
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050509/

...The first surprise here is that unlike Intel, thermal issues did not force AMD to reduce average clock speeds to operate two processor cores on one physical chip. This means that AMD dual core processors should run exactly as fast as their single core versions running at the same clock speed. In contrast, the fastest Intel dual core will remain at 3.2 GHz, while the fastest single core clocks in at 3.8 GHz....

Their conclusion...

Thanks to generous preview offers, both Intel and AMD made it possible to have a close look at their upcoming technologies weeks ahead of the actual product launches. After a deep look at all the interesting facets of both dual core technologies, the results are rather disappointing - for Intel.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24495.html

....The pentium d is slower than the athlon x2 though, the highest pentium d, the 840 3.2, should be comparable to the lowest athlon x2, the 2.2ghz 4200+(which is actually like two 3500+ a64's), athough it still may beat it.
    This is just my speculation though, actual performance may vary......

For the power cost watchers, also from Tom's Hardware...

However, there is something that we can't really tolerate: the Pentium D system manages to burn over 200 watts as soon as it's turned on, even when it isn't doing anything. It even exceeds 310 W when working and 350+ W with the graphics card employed! AMD proves that this is not necessary at all: a range of 125 to 190 Watts is much more acceptable (235 counting the graphics card). And that is without Cool & Quiet even enabled.

Default Re: intel pentium D cheaper than amd x2

if only i can turn back the hands of time and have read all this threads from anandtech, toms hard ware. .etc.. i never should have ordered a Asus P5WD2 Premium and a Pentium D 830! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

intel pentium D cheaper....

They should be cheaper:

1. they produce so much heat you need noisy coolers....

2. they consume more power so your power bill goes up...

3. Compared to X2 sa benchmark daan pildi na.....

4. next you need a new motherboard for Pentuim D for X2 socket 939 will support it....

So Pili lang barato inyo.... Go ahead

dang! thats why i regret ever click i made in newegg!! arghhhhhh.

baligya nalang na.

Blog Entries

budget wise: Pentium D. performance wise (which i think d most important): X2

X2 all the way...

moinvest na pud ka bag ong heat sink kay init ang pentumD wew! additional money!
    that is why ang intel barato sa pricing i think you will notice the reason why sa review site...

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast