Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 RP sites make it to ‘must dive’ list (Malapascua & Apo Island)

2 RP sites make it to ‘must dive’ list

By Ronnel Domingo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 06:20:00 11/18/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Two local dive spots have made it to a British divers magazine’s list of top sites “every diver must try,” buoying the Department of Tourism’s projections of visitor arrivals from the United Kingdom.

Sport Diver magazine’s special publication, The Ultimate Dive Destinations, listed Malapascua in Cebu and Apo Island off Dumaguete City in Negros Oriental province among the “100 dives to do before you die.”

The magazine, official publication of the PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) Diving Society, came up with the list of popular and little-known dive spots based on unique finds such as wrecks, reefs and marine life.

The list comprises 10 dive sites in 10 regions, including North America, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Europe, the Mediterranean, Middle East, Africa, Indian Ocean, Australasia and Southeast Asia.

Malapascua and Apo Island shared the Southeast Asia list with five Indonesian, two Malaysian and one Thai dive sites.

Tourism Secretary Ace Durano said the inclusion of two Philippine sites in the list, “by no less than an insider’s guide to the world’s best diving destinations” proves that the country is a must-see.

Durano said Malapascua was picked for its consistent sightings of thresher sharks—6-meter pelagic fish with long, whip-like tails, large eyes, silver sheen on the side and smooth movements, which got its name for its ability to feed on schools of fish by thrashing its tail toward them.

Underwater life

On the other hand, Apo Island was described as replete with a continuous chain of underwater life—with hard and soft corals attracting reef fish like snappers, surgeonfish, damselfish, parrotfish, anemone fish and wrasse, which in turn invite large species like barracuda, tuna, white tip and blacktip, turtles and manta rays.

Durano, who is a diver himself, said the list was based on the opinion of experts looking for sites with rare characteristics that stand out from the usual dive haunts.

Big boost

Tourism Undersecretary Eduardo Jarque Jr. said the listing would boost the country’s tourism campaign.

“We are confident that arrivals from the UK may breach the 90,000 mark by year end,” Jarque said.

He said the UK market had been a consistently strong source of tourist arrivals, posting an 18-percent growth rate during the first half of the year.

AT LEAST THERE ARE STILL GOOD NEWS COMING FOR CEBU!!!

Pak-pak mga abyan!

Apo Island for one is one heck of a diving spot. Thanks to Silliman University for its support for the preservation of the place. You should really go there guys. Apo Island in Oriental Negros though.

^^^yup. the article even mentioned the 2 as belonged to "100 dives to do before you die"...hehe

as for me, i will also do it before i die, not to mention bungee jumping and sky diving...basta as long as i don't die because of them...(knock 3x on wood)...hehe
    Last edited by giddyboy; 11-18-2008 at 04:10 PM.

weeeeeeeh! wow philippines.

Apo Island has one of the best corals I have seen.

This is good news. malapascua is nice nagsnorkeling lang gani ko didto wala jud nagdive hehe!

snorkeling is nice and fun but you can double the excitement and discover the natural beauty of sea life by scuba diving. you don't have to go deep.

Just recently read this from super balita...
    anyway things for posting bro!!!
    "Mabuhay ang Pilipinas"

Pero dapat adto jud ta ani before we die...heheheh

Blog Entries
    Women, generally, are more risk averse, so I don't care much for scuba diving...but this is great news. Malapascua is one of our country's most beautiful islands, and it deserves every bit of the recognition it is getting from the international community. Go Cebu!
    Last edited by Dorothea; 11-19-2008 at 01:24 PM.

im envy...i would appreciate if i be the one to see it personally

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast