Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: programming for high school students

Quote Originally Posted by SYNCH View Post
    Probably true in older generations. As far as I observed nowadays, kids tend to be interested if they can see something moving. Giving C is probably boring to them, just my opinion though, maybe different way to teach but not spoon-feeding. There was this project that supposedly bring back the niceties of programming, see Microsoft Small Basic. I don't know if it helped or can help though but it should be worth a try.
    thanks for this, u are right they really are more interested on moving things. i wanna try this f acquainted na kaau cla sa basic things..thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Klave View Post
    ^^^ As far as I know, mao ni curriculum sa San Carlos.
    So dili tingali kaayo older generations.
    Besides, if you just want to get them to be interested then just show them something really cool.
    Like Diablo 3, that is a very good example of a programming marvel.
    At the same time, they won't probably learn a thing, because they can't understand the code.
    It is nice to keep them interested but they should understand that programming starts with a blank screen.
    absolutely! as long as they will get the concept, students will explore!

For my own opinion, pwede ra dle sa nimo e introduce ang programming language in highschool. Kay ang pinaka basic requirement mn gud aning programming is the programming solving skills. Enhance their logical thinking and give them more in analytical problems. Gamit sd ang basic concept sa mathematics.

sa amu sauna kay C ang una gitudlo pag high school. I agree pud with alfz08, kailangan jud solving skills. Logic pud importante. If mag programmer jud ka, kailangan kbaw pud ka mu research pud. Kay dli man tnan ihatag sa school. Dghan kag makat-unan. But ig trabaho nimu, anha njud na nimu ma apply tnan2x.

Quote Originally Posted by Klave View Post
    ^^^ As far as I know, mao ni curriculum sa San Carlos.So dili tingali kaayo older generations.Besides, if you just want to get them to be interested then just show them something really cool.Like Diablo 3, that is a very good example of a programming marvel.At the same time, they won't probably learn a thing, because they can't understand the code.It is nice to keep them interested but they should understand that programming starts with a blank screen.
    I think I missed the point that I'm making.

In the old days, there are only two computers shared by 40 students. Learning Assembly or C is high-level, interesting and fun. To create a DOS menu, move a block character with a cursor or mouse interrupts is such a big thing before. It feels so modern in those days.

Nowadays, it's quite different and so is the generation. DOS mode is obsolete, Windows 3.1 is old fashioned and C is boring. But it does not mean it is wrong to continue using and learning them, in fact it should be taught after everything else, they are low-levels and subject for dissection in today's time.

It is the teaching approach I'm looking at. Learning is supposed to be fun. C was fun in our days because of what we only have and what we only know but is it still in today's generation? Also note, today's generation is accelerated, visuals and lazy.

My approach would be to start off with high-level and go down one step in detail until you found the handful who deserved to be taught because they stayed to learn more the inner takings (this is reverse to most curriculum that I know). High-level is not about graphics (e.g. Diablo), it's about teaching simple without overwhelming with details. It's like this, which is easier to learn C or VB? VB, no doubt, start from there and go deeper, e.g.:
    • Stage 1 - Run VB, create a form, a button and if pressed prompts a message box.
    • Stage 2 - Dig deeper, run Spy++, inspect the form, get the window classes and explain the win32 api
    • Stage 3 - Open VC++, create a form through CreateWindow with attributes we get from Stage 2
    • Stage N - Go deeper and you will arrive at C
    These are just my thoughts, experiments and arguments in preparation when I put up a school in not so far future. If you can think of loopholes on this idea, I appreciate comments. Thanks.

C!!! I wish gi tudluan mi ug C pag HS namu, pero ang gi tudlo ato kai VB man and as a 3rd yr HS student ato,wa koi interest sa VB. Paagkahuman nako college, kauhuna-huna ko, mas nindut to if C nalang ilang gi tudlo. Naa mai lingaw nga mabuhat sa C nga makapainterisante. Nindut kayu nga foundation ang C

1st year - C
    2nd year - C++
    3rd year - Java
    4th year - VB.NET or C#

C lang bai mao man nay basic jud. . first na g tudlo sa amo titser. .

C is the most suggested language of all why because 90 percent of languages as C-like language. Its like if a person wants to learn different tools to make things done. C is like a power tool that does it all. I've been teaching for almost 13yrs and right now working in a multi-national industry for 5yrs now and I noticed that better teach student to C rather than teaching lots of different language without mastering one. If you have problem I can help you on Student workbook.

Nindot kung puros lang mga basics.
    HTML/CSS , or gamay nga C

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast