First things first. Isn't the new Accent gorgeous? With Hyundai adapting the 'Fluidic Sculpture' in body styling which started with their Sonata, they have made the Accent pleasing to look at. It can even make you stare at it. From the curvy headlamps to those sleek lines running down its sides to the sexy rear end, it makes the Accent look like a teen model. Of course the supermodel of the family is the Genesis coupe. But, nevertheless, all I can say is "Good boy Hyundai. You have grown."

The interior as well is not far behind. The previous Accent feels and looks cheap while this new iteration is undoubtedly better equipped and the dash and instrument panels are ergonomically sound though the stereo controls are a bit cramped. The gauges too are easy on the eyes and is well illuminated. The seats are well bolstered but lacks lateral support noticeable only when attacking corners at speed. However, as what this car segment is usually driven, it is easy to look past that. Leg room is quite good though not class leading while headroom suffers a lot from the sloping rear roof line. Boot space is enough for trips to the grocery store.

Now on to the performance bits. What I tested was the 1.4 manual. They rated the engine at 107hp and i don't feel any excitement at all driving it. I got excited driving the fiesta and the jazz. Even on the puny engine of the mazda 2 if only for a brief moment. I wonder about the 1.6L variant though. Anyhow, it may be due to the transmission. The gear shifts of the manual are sharp and brief. And you can feel the gear going in with a reassuring 'cog'. What I don't like is the feel of the clutch. Or let me rephrase that. I don't feel the clutch! Not as much as I want to. It's not very engaging this but it offers smooth gear changes though which is its main function. Suspension is a tad soft but on the other hand it offers comfortable ride on straights. However, on tight curves, you'd wish for it to be stiffer. I notice a bit more body roll than on the vios.

So, despite the weak engine of the 1.4L and my issue with the clutch, the radical exterior redesign and the nearly plush interior, I think the all-new Accent deserves a score of 6 out of 10.

Oh, I forgot to mention about the ECO mode. When engaged, it gives you a warning when you are on the optimum range to shift when you got the manual, while the green ECO mode indicator lights up when good fuel economy is achieved on A/T variants. A good bit of add-on I think.