WARHAMMER FANTASY & 40K - Page 2
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

WARHAMMER FANTASY & 40K

This is a discussion on WARHAMMER FANTASY & 40K within the Hobbies & Crafts forums, part of the Sports & Recreation category;

Thanks Zilla, I hope they sell the current decks.

2.    Advertisement

@ Wolfchild: Of course they do. Tournaments are usually Type 2 [standard] so there will always be current decks.

@ cmontoya: WH 40k minis are indeed more fun to paint than Gunpla.

Cheers!

C.I.A.

Default Re: WARHAMMER FANTASY & 40K

Tonight, I took the first serious step to painting Warhammer 40K kits.

1 Wet palette

2 It took me three hours to prepare and paint just one unit.

3 I hope I did a clean job (click to see large).

4 I used two thin coats of Chaos Black (click to see large).

Lesson learned: While Tamiya Cement worked on cementing the feet with the base, it didn't work with the rest of the body. It was a blessing in disguise though as a completed unit would be more difficult to paint especially when these Space Marines are holding their rifles across their chests. I hope ordinary Super Glue works until I get Citadel's brand of glues.

Tomorrow night, the hard part begins with selective painting. Good luck to me.

---

Tamiya cement works fine gluing all the parts of my marines. You need to have naked plastic so it will work. The paint will prevent the cement from melting the plastic and forming a bond between the parts.

Cheers!

C.I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by jumps_zilla View Post
    Tamiya cement works fine gluing all the parts of my marines. You need to have naked plastic so it will work. The paint will prevent the cement from melting the plastic and forming a bond between the parts.

Cheers!
    Hi Jumps. I applied Tamiya Cement prior basecoating but it fell apart while I was applying Chaos Black. I either put too few or too much. In any case, I'll try SuperGlue once I'm done painting. I didn't paint last night because I felt sleepy early and I need to be alert while painting.

I'm not sure if I could paint tonight since I have some things to finish at the office to meet a deadline tomorrow. In any case, I look forward to this weekend.

Did you wait for the cement to cure before you painted? It could also be that there was not enough surface contact between the parts. I prefer cement to superglue when it comes to plastic.

Cheers!

C.I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by jumps_zilla
    Did you wait for the cement to cure before you painted?
    Er, no.

Quote Originally Posted by jumps_zilla
    It could also be that there was not enough surface contact between the parts.
    I think this was the culprit. When I use Tamiya Cement on Gunpal, it's not a problem pressing two parts together because the snap-fit mechanism helps. However, I'm not familiar with using Tamiya Cement on WH40K kits. Do I also press the two parts together for 10-20 seconds? I did and it kept wriggling because there are no snap-fit joints that prevent them from moving. How do I illustrate, let's say it's just like rubbing a negative magnet against another negative magnet.

If I don't press, I feel that there would be visible gaps.

First, you have to make sure that the parts to be joined will be flush with each other, then roughen it a bit by sanding. If the part kept wriggling, there was either too much pressure or too much cement. You do have to press the parts together firmly [not too much pressure] for 10 - 20 seconds though then leave alone for 20 minutes to an hour.

Cheers!

C.I.A.

@jumps: I thought about sanding the surfaces that will join together but didn't.

Btw, I've already applied a first layer of Regal Blue (two thin coats as well). Too tired to take a photo tonight so I'll do it tomorrow prior applying Ultramarine Blue.

Man, it's really easy to paint using Citadel Paint. If there are spills, then it's definitly user-error. The paint stays where it's supposed to (assuming it's not too thin). I thought I would have newbie mistakes like when I first tried handbrushing a Gunpla with Tamiya Acrylic but didn't (well, there are a few but not as bad as that Gunpla if you remember, he he).

I think I'm going to enjoy this hobby but I still can't decide whether I should stop Gunpla. It's also satisfying in its own way.

Hopefully, I could meet other WH40K painters (other than you) the same way I meet the folks in Gunpla Addiction Society.

C.I.A.

First layer of Regal Blue that will be followed by Ultramarine Blue today

click to see large

1. Torso

2. Backpack

Not perfect I know but this is my first time Let me know how I can do better next time. I use a #1 round brush. I forgot to use a magnifying glass to see gaps.

---
    Last edited by cmontoya; 03-05-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast