THE OBELISK: a pagan symbol? - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

THE OBELISK: a pagan symbol?

This is a discussion on THE OBELISK: a pagan symbol? within the General Discussions forums, part of the Lounge category;

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by <SMILE> View Post
    Jehovas Witness Bro,hmmmmm not close,
    kahibaw nas bro noy unsa ko.

"...by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. This is the stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.í Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:10-12

"I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep." John 10:9-11

I think it's not a curse Bro,
    but actually the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross
    to save us from our sins,

Can you imagine the most sublime divine deed of God
    in saving us from our trespasses,
    by way of giving us his only begotten Son Jesus Christ,
    was realized using the pagan symbol of the cross.

If God used the cross a pagan symbol
    what does this imply.
    This clearly implies God's power over evil we both agree in that.
    During that time, it was death by hanging on the cross ang pinakaworst nga punishment. Tingali kung naa pay labaw sa cross, mao toy gigamit.

Our God is a HOLY God, He used it that people might understand the cruelty of sin ug unsa diay atong kahimtang sa iyang atubangan. But it's not the literal cross that is important but what was done. We should be thankful of the sacrifice and death of God's son in order to redeem us.

What is the message of the cross?
    The Message of the Cross

2.    Advertisement

Banned User
    Lahi ato bro, naa daw obelisk diha sa Colon street going to Pari-an. I dont know asa ni dapit..hehhe.

Elite Member
    Archaeology does not state Obelisk as phallic symbols! Karon nalang na gihimo sa mga New Age authors na dugangan gyud ug sexual meaning whereas there was none. The meaning lies on Egyptian mythology about Ra the Sun god.

Whether Pagan ang origin sa Obelisk the answer is YES. The Obelisk in Rome came from Egypt that was taken by the Romans during their occupation. Napoleon also took an obelisk from Egypt and sent it to France when he defeated the mamluks - also on display to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by defender_1611 View Post
    naa pod ni symbol sa LDS bro. tan.awa ilang church. diba kita ka anang obelisk.

OT: Welcome back bro.
    Si angel M0roni na ang naa sa LDS.

Dili man siguro na obelisk mga spire mana naa sa ilang temple.

usahay raba kanang obelisk mao raba nang landmark nga naa diha dapita ang treasure....

Blog Entries
    yes bro because pagans use to worship sun man pro symbol nlang pud ni nila...

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by _hizuka_ View Post
    usahay raba kanang obelisk mao raba nang landmark nga naa diha dapita ang treasure....
    nindota kung mauhon bro. mag ilog tingali ang mangalutay ana! haha.

noy
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakeven View Post

@noy
    murag lahi raman ang meaning bro. kinsa man nga religious figure atong ma relate sa obelisk if i compare nato sa cross? yes the cross is of pagan origins, pero kinsa man ang nagbuot sa cross as the means of Jesus death? the ROMANS.
    it was actually the Jews who asked to crucify Jesus under the Roman Empire bai break,

if we are to base it in your presentation and the links you provided when you started this thread, it is of the the same concept.
    the whole idea really is questioning why there is an "OBELISK" a PAGAN symbol in the Rome, the center of Catholicism plus nag atobang pa jud ang dome sa St. Peter's basilica...

you will find your answers here, please check the link para makita nimu ang reason...
    what is the purpose of the obelisk in vatican city? - Catholic Answers Forums

kung atong palagman, same ra ang concept sa cross, the cross was once a pagan symbol, denotes a shameful death of a criminal
    but had a change of meaning to Christians who treasure it in remembrance of our Lord Jesus' sacrifice..

in the same manner, the OBELISK, once a pagan symbol or unsa pa nang other meaning ana, the obelisk has dramatic roots to
    many early Christian martyrs who died for the gospel including the Apostle or St. Peter himself.
    Last edited by noy; 03-20-2013 at 05:14 PM.

naa mi obelisk pero service entrance man sa Veco

Quote Originally Posted by Breakeven View Post
    This clearly implies God's power over evil we both agree in that.
    During that time, it was death by hanging on the cross ang pinakaworst nga punishment. Tingali kung naa pay labaw sa cross, mao toy gigamit.

Our God is a HOLY God, He used it that people might understand the cruelty of sin ug unsa diay atong kahimtang sa iyang atubangan. But it's not the literal cross that is important but what was done. We should be thankful of the sacrifice and death of God's son in order to redeem us.

What is the message of the cross?
    The Message of the Cross
    Hi Bro Breakeven,
    Thanks sa link.

I. Introduction: Why do Christians put such emphasis on the cross? What message does it convey, and exactly what does it symbolize?

II. Message:

A. The cross is a message about the justice of God.

1.God is the epitome of holiness and righteousness, so He must punish sin.
    2.Every other religion teaches that people reach God through their works.
    3.God placed all the sin of humanity on Christ in order to provide a substitute in our place.
    4.God deals not only with our actions; He changes us from the inside out.
    B. The cross is a message about the wisdom of God.

1.The cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. The Jews and Greeks saw the cross as a sign of weakness, shame, and punishment for crime.
    2.Because salvation is a gift of God, we canít take credit for what God has done in our lives.
    3.Godís redemptive plan is unique in human history.
    4.People who attempt to work for their salvation never know if they have done enough to go to heaven. In contrast, those who receive Godís forgiveness have assurance of their salvation.
    C. The cross is a message about the love of God.

1.God is love, but that doesnít mean He overlooks sin.
    2.If you receive salvation but then live a disobedient, rebellious life, God will discipline you in love.
    3.No one deserves to go to heaven. A 90-year-old man and a 10-year-old boy are both saved by grace.
    D. The cross is a message about the power of God.

1.Paul writes that the cross is about Godís power (1 Cor. 1:1.
    2.God's power transforms anyone who will accept salvation.

ēExample: Prisoners who are incarcerated for life but have never felt freer
    ēExample: A drug addict whose life was eventually transformed after he heard one sentence about Godís unconditional love
    So meaning GOD do use the cross
    as his symbol of power and salvation.
    A cross that is also Pagan in origin,
    does this connote that God tolerates Pagan symbols
    and even really used these symbols.
    noy likes this.

noy
    @ <Smile> mao pud na ang point nga akong gi raise towards bai breakeven...
    <SMILE> likes this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast