View RSS Feed

Warrior Pilgrimage

ISTORYA BLOG #113: Nocturnal Hunting in Argao

Rate this Entry
Featured at Warrior Pilgrimage on March 8, 2011

IT IS RAINING when we pass by Naga town at one in the afternoon of October 2, 2010. I am sitting beside Boy Toledo inside his KIA Pride, him driving, while Ernie Salomon is at the back. We just left an awfully-hot Cebu City an hour ago bound for Argao – 67 kilometers down south.

We are Camp Red and we will embark on another bushcraft and survival activity, this time, hunting for fresh-water shrimps and crabs, elvers and edible frogs upon a free-flowing stream somewhere in Argao. I carried materials, for this occasion, for construction of a scoop net and, of course, my Habagat Viajero where all my outdoor amenities are stowed.

Boy drove the car in a slow carefree pace and we lagged one hour for that from our itinerary. We reach the place at three and made a call to the village headman, where we exhibit our intention. We were received warmly by the locals and were showed a good campsite and both Boy and Ernie pitched their tents while I decide to sleep under the stars.

Meanwhile, I unpack my bag, unroll my sleep sack and make my scoop net with discarded GI wires, rusty welding rods, net bag and a short stick. Before we arrive, we made a stop-over in Argao Public Market and buy vegetables, pork meat, canned sardines, cooking oil, vinegar, soy sauce and a kilo of milled corn for our dinner and breakfast.

Ernie prepared the vegetables and pork for dinner while I took care of the milled corn. Jerry Alberca, our guide, came with his sturdy-looking scoop net, Petromax, catch container and a 32-inch long single-blade sword, locally known as a “pinoti”, made from a stainless-steel propeller shaft of a motor boat...READ MORE
Categories
Outdoors

Comments

makahinumdum man ko ani saona nga grabe ka excited mano magabii sa probinsya...bisan unsay makuha apil sawa lutu-o hehehe

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:
about us
We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
follow us
#top