Let us all join forces to bring joy to the little children affected by the typhoon Yolanda this Christmas!!!
We need kids to give one or more Christmas-wrapped gifts with a handwritten personal Christmas card for the stricken kids. We will get Santa to take this to the affected areas... read more
Rice has been Pinoy's staple food. Although one can see fast food chains in every corner, nothing beats rice meals in carenderias and small food establishments. When hunger strikes and food needs to be served fast, forget fluffy pancakes and french toasts! One thing comes to the FIlipino mind when it comes to breakfast: SILOG!
From the root word, SI (Sinangag or fried rice), and LOG (Itlog or eggs), SILOG plus a variety of favorite Filipino viands to choose from has slowly become the National Breakfast of the Philippines!
Silog meals are easy and fast to cook. They also come in varieties. Although they became famous as breakfast meals, many food chains are serving these meals the whole day.
Let's look at the popular silog meals in town (and what they truly mean)
1. TAPSILOG - Probably the most popular silog meal. It is composed of tapa (cured beef), sinangag (fried rice) and itlog (egg).
2. LONGSILOG - Longganisa is equivalent to sausage but with a sweeter taste. This meal is composed of of longganisa, sinangag (fried rice) and itlog (egg).
3. BACONSILOG - Everybody loves bacon, even Filipinos. This meal is more or less a fusion of the American and Filipino cuisine. This meal is composed of of bacon, sinangag (fried rice) and itlog (egg).
4. TOCILOG - This meal is composed of tocino, sinangag (fried rice) and itlog (egg). Tocino is more or less the same with tapa but softer and sweeter.
5. BANGSILOG - For those who do not eat meat, this silog meal is perfect for you. This meal is composed of bangus (milkfish), sinangag (fried rice) and itlog (egg).
There are still many silog meals to choose from. Which one is your favorite?
Ma. Celeste Abellana
iSTORYAn League of Writers
Lifestyle- Food and Dining